Can I Add a Audio Headset to This Box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Comcast DVR box I want to add an RF audio headset like this one ["www. amazon.com /Sennheiser-Rs110-926-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVEA"] to.

I have a picture of the back of the DVR box below.

I called brain dead Comcast and was told by two people I cannot add a headset to their box. It looks like to me the top two RCA jacks in the middle row (the white and red ones) are ordinary analog audio out jacks that should work. But, when two different people are adamant that I can't I have to wonder, and if those won't work I guess I'm SOL.

If those won't work is there any way to make the optical audio out work? How about the black jack call Digital Audio Out?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

They will work, altho you are slightly wrong identifying the jacks: The left column is HD component out (red, blue, green from top to bottom) while the next column (white, red, black) are stereo left and right, and coax digital audio.
Use the stereo outs and you should be in good shape.

Note that the box might have audio-out options, such as fixed volume versus variable: You can control the volume of the stereo outs with variable output, just make sure you don't pooch the other audio such as digital or hdmi.

I enjoy mowing my lawn. It's the only two hours of my week where I know what's expected, understand the job, can forsee completion, and look back and see progress.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I meant the middle column, not the middle row.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Quote:

Note that the box might have audio-out options, such as fixed volume versus variable: You can control the volume of the stereo outs with variable output, just make sure you don't pooch the other audio such as digital or hdmi.

I didn't follow that. The picture shows all the connections on the box except the one hidden by the plugs that I labeled (optical audio out) and the partially visible 1394 on the far right. What you see is all I get. And, I don't know what pooching means.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, Pooch is Southeast Massachusetts slang, meaning to break. I was at work answering your question, having spotted it in an RSS feed, so I was typing faster than I was thinking.

There's a software volume control in many set top boxes which will allow you to use the remote control to vary the volume of the box's own audio outputs IF the output is set to variable: Its terribly common for audio output to default to 'fixed' in a set top box since most people use Home Theater Receivers as external amplifiers (and volume controls.)

I enjoy mowing my lawn. It's the only two hours of my week where I know what's expected, understand the job, can forsee completion, and look back and see progress.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page