Cisco Explorer 8550/8540 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are these boxes out in use yet I noticed them on Cisco's Site about four months ago and I was wondering if anyone has one of these boxes. and if so are they better then the POS box I currently have now which is a Scientific Atalanta 8300HDC
I have Charter Communications in Trumbull, CT
I really want one of these boxes mostly for the look of it as the 8300 I have is ugly
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
I think each model is specific to cable providers, per region. Cox is using SA where I live, but 60 miles away they're using Motorola DVRs.

Everything I've read would leads me to believe not to expect any SA box is better than another, just technically different.; like number/type of tuners, drive capacity, or HD output capability, etc. The loaded up interface, SARA or Navigator, tends to be specific to a providers.

I suggest you call your local providers' tech support and ask what they are using now, Sales might not be able to answer your question.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
the Cisco boxes are acually just the newer SA's.. they are both the same explorer boxes and both have issues. TWC Columbus started issuing Ciscos, and they are the same as the explorer with a few internal difference. They send them out with a paper stating that there is a known issue with recording a show you are watching, and how it wont show in the DVR list until a reboot. So ya, expect the same issues.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page