Dish 622 DVR vs DirectTV HR22-100 First Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the interest of full disclosure - I've been a Dish sub since 2003 and have dealt with the various issues of all their DVRs. I've been enjoying my ViP 622 for the last 2-3 years and it's been generally very stable with less than 2-3 reboots a year. (Note stability and performance greatly improved when I added a APC 500VA battery back-up)

Spending the weekend with the wife and her family at my sis-in-law's apartment. She can only get DirectTV with line-of-site from her patio. She has a HR22-100 DVR connected to a Panasonic 720P plasma. I've noticed the thing is SLOW. Everything lags including channel changes. I went into the setup and saw there is a native pass-through option to enable output from 480i all the way through 1080p depending on source material. While it's nice to allow your TV or AVR/video processor device handle scaling, I think the mode switches add to the delay factor.

In comparison, my Dish ViP 622 is lightning fast! The difference in responsiveness is amazing.

As far as picture quality goes, I can't compare since my Panny TV is different, no A/B, different program material, etc. I suspect Dish and DirectTV are roughly equal with some advantages on some channels for each service. I'll say that DirectTV's DVR had the internet-timer setting feature far before Dish and I suspect it's still a more robust implementation than Dish's which I've found to be unreliable and touchy.

Just wanted to post a review since responsiveness/speed is something you deal with every interaction with the DVR (vs PQ which varies greatly depending on source material) and this may help some folks decide between the services, if you have the choice. I do believe both DBS are far superior to cable when it comes to pricing, flexibility and DVR quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Setting native on on the receiver will slow down any channel change when the resolution changes, just the nature of the TV and receiver having to resync. Even then the DirecTV receivers are know to be slower then the Dish receivers. Some software releases speed them up a little bit but the boxes are still a slower.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Earlier versions of the '622 software seemed to have a hiccup when you did not back out of the DVR menus properly. I found the unit to become sluggish at those times. During the past two years, I assume with software updates, I have not had these issues. I have never had to reboot the unit in approx four years of service.

The DVR has been a workhorse.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

Setting native on on the receiver will slow down any channel change when the resolution changes, just the nature of the TV and receiver having to resync. Even then the DirecTV receivers are know to be slower then the Dish receivers. Some software releases speed them up a little bit but the boxes are still a slower.

Agreed, I disabled all the resolution check boxes in HDTV setup except 720p. I assume this disables the native pass-through and the box scales everything to 720p. I did not see a separate "native" option box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post

Earlier versions of the '622 software seemed to have a hiccup when you did not back out of the DVR menus properly. I found the unit to become sluggish at those times. During the past two years, I assume with software updates, I have not had these issues. I have never had to reboot the unit in approx four years of service.

The DVR has been a workhorse.

Absolutely...I don't remember a forced reboot for the last 6 months. I've found it can get briefly sluggish when recording 2 or 3 programs at once (2 sat + 1 OTA) but these clear up pretty quickly. I think having a good UPS unit really helps and would help with the stability of the DirectTV box as well.

The other thing that was frustrating with the HR22-100 was the inability to easily filter out non-subscribed channels in a favorites list, even though the "Only channels I get" option was added. Adult channels still showed up and brought up the black screen notification to subscribe (so did PPV channels but Dish has that annoyance, too.) Perhaps I wasn't doing it right and I think you can manually clear channels from the favs but that's a pain.

After the early years when the Dish DVRs were crude, unreliable while I'd get tired of reading the raves from the TiVO users, it's nice to see Dish in the vanguard position on the latest DVRs.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page