digital recordings don't play - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a H2160MW9 HDD DVD recorder, even with the quirks the one question I have and I consider it serious with a possibility I don't have it connected correctly. My system is cable service with a digital to analog converter box because I have an analog TV. The channels which run from 2 to 130 are mixed with analog and digital signals. Most all record to the HDD fine for the exception of the digital channels. They do seem to record but when played back all I get is a lot of loud white noise and screen hash... Does anyone have fix-it comments for this.

Thank you for handling this
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 05:36 AM

Liked: 11
The H2160MW9 does not bear the DCR logo:

Also, it's specifications don't indicate any support for encrypted QAM. So most likely the problem is that your DVR is incapable.

At this time, the only DVRs I know of that are available for sale to the general public in the US and capable of handling encrypted QAM are the following:
- TiVo HD DVR
- Moxi HD DVR
- (for personal computers) ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner w/DVR software

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
not to sure what you mean by 'encrypted QAM'
what does work for me is if I connect the Signal Cable into the digital converter box then to the HDD, the digital stations do record and the do play back. The only problem with this connect is that I have to set the program timer in the converter box and also the program timer in the HDD unit. I have a HDMI output on my HDD unit do you thnik the recorded program will play if I had a digital TV with an HDMI input.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw45 View Post

not to sure what you mean by 'encrypted QAM'

You can read that term literally.

QAM, like all digital signals, can be encrypted, requiring digital decryption. This is the means by which, when a service provider offers different tiers of service, that the service provider can ensure that subscribers only receive the services that they've paid for.

Quote:

what does work for me is if I connect the Signal Cable into the digital converter box then to the HDD, the digital stations do record and the do play back.

Indeed: The digital converter box is capable of performing the necessary decryption.

Quote:

The only problem with this connect is that I have to set the program timer in the converter box and also the program timer in the HDD unit.

Your DVR is incapable of doing the necessary decryption, so taking the digital converter box out of the path will not work for encrypted services.

Quote:

I have a HDMI output on my HDD unit do you thnik the recorded program will play if I had a digital TV with an HDMI input.

Almost surely not.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I have a H2160MW9 HDD DVD recorder, even with the quirks the one question I have and I consider it serious with a possibility I don't have it connected correctly. My system is cable service with a digital to analog converter box because I have an analog TV. The channels which run from 2 to 130 are mixed with analog and digital signals. Most all record to the HDD fine for the exception of the digital channels. They do seem to record but when played back all I get is a lot of loud white noise and screen hash... Does anyone have fix-it comments for this.

Thank you for handling this
Jim

Many people with the Mag 2160 have the same situation as you. Your analog TV will be fine and no problem if it has at least one AV (RCA or S-Video) input.

You should try connecting as shown in Sketch 3 here, with the Mag 2160 1st on the coax. Do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) and see how many channels the 2160 can tune by itself.

Then connect the DTA box from the cableco 2nd on the coax, which will provide that box with the raw cable signal, with its clear and scrambled channels. To record scrambled channels only the box can tune, run the line connection shown in SKetch 3 back to the 2160. For scrambled channels, you'll still have to set both the box and the machine to play/record simultaneously.

If you also read the help file on Scanning channels, you might be able to find MORE digital channels that Comcast (in particular) start with XX.2 or higher on the 2160's tuner. See the Discussion of the "All-or-Nothing" procedure described here for more details.

Who knows, you may be surprised at how many channels the 2160 can tune. Others have found that Comcast just moved channels to different locations, despite their warnings to the contrary.

If you have more questions on your 2160, they'd be better answered in the main thread for that machine. Click #1 in my signature for a list of the many help files available.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page