Question about Tivo and QAM channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I understand that Tivo does not allow any way to manually map channels or tell adjust its guide to match QAM channels for viewers who subscribe to cable but does not use cable box or cable card.
What I read was that we could not use season pass, search, etc.. features but can record using Record button. Does that also prevent scheduled recording a.k.a. VCR-like recording, where I tell it to record channel 42.2 for 1 hour at 4:00pm on certain date? Can't it at least do that?

I am planning to return my DVR to time warner, pick up a TiVo off ebay with lifetime subscription for about $200 and use that, but I would like to be able to schedule recording on those QAM channels, especially when even HD versions of regular broadcast channels are in different places than where they should be (Fox 5 HD on 93, CW11 HD on 119, etc..) The TiVo would be series 2 SD box, but I assume it can still tune to those HD channels but display them in SD?

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post

The TiVo would be series 2 SD box, but I assume it can still tune to those HD channels but display them in SD?

HD channels are encoded in a completely different manner than SD channels, and the analog tuner in a Series 2 box won't be able to display them. If you buy a converter box (the ones subsidized by the government to ease the DTV transition), you should be able to get the regular SD channels over the air. I'm pretty sure they won't work with cable, though.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ted.
Thanks for your answer.

The channels would be coming from Time Warner cable. You mean Tivo can't display digital channels either?

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
post #4 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
A Series 2 Tivo, no. You will need a Tivo HD.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well that changes my whole plan now. Thanks again.

No More Cable Box
KDL52W4100TV
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page