Polaroid DRM2001G Optical drive failure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new here and I hope someone can help me. I purchased a Polaroid DRM2001G about 2 years ago and like a lot of people I hated it from the beginning but after coming to the conclusion that the problem was the lack of good documentation, crappy technical support and a remote with certain functions that had a range of less than 2 feet, came to actually like the unit. The unit worked fine for a while but I started having problems with the optical drive. It got to the point that it would not work with -R media but would work with +R media. Then after a while the unit would burn a DVD but would not read that same DVD 10 minutes later. After a lot of frustration I fount that it wouod work flawlessly with +RW media but with nothing else.

So for the next few months I used RW media without any problem. But gradually the drive required several tries before it would recognize the +RW media. Finally the optical drive would not recognize anything so I purchased another identical unit. Well after about 6 months the optical drive on the second unit began to fail just like the first one. Now I am 6 months into my third unit and the optical drive on this unit is beginning to fail.

I have searched threads on this model and I find many references in which hard drives will work in these units but I can not find any reference to the optical drives. Can someone tell me which drives I should find to replace the optical drive. I really like these units and would like to get them back in working order, but Polaroid is absolutely no help with this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
John,

I have a couple of Polaroid units here I do not use. One never had a digital tuner, and the digital tuner died in the other one. I am fairly certain that the optical drives work fine. If interested in buying one for parts and/or just the optical drive, let me know.

CA GUY
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page