Comcast DCX3400 won't play various recordings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having problems with my DCX3400. A few of my recordings won't play. I recorded a couple of programs this morning, but when I went to play them, I either received a blank screen or the first part of the recording plays and then freezes.

This problem happened on a previous DCX3400 that I returned. For the first couple of weeks, all recordings played. Recordings that I made yesterday and later on today played fine. Only a few of recordings from this morning (back to back) freeze and refuse to play.

I powered down the unit and turned it back on and the problem still persisted.

Could this be a hard drive problem?

I posted a video of this issue on YouTube.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM

Duke,
I just got a DXC3400 about a month ago and I am having the same issue you discribed. Did you ever get yours fixed? When I remove power it starts working again for about 2 weeks but cant watch the previous recordings that were effected by this issue.
JPWIL
Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still having this issue. I can't trust the unit to record the shows that I choose. The unit freezes when I schedule two Hi-Def shows to record at the same time. I don't know if it is a signal issue, a software issue, or that something is wrong with the hard drive. This is the second unit that I picked up and it has the same problems as the first.

At times, the DCX3400 will show that a show is fully recorded (one hour), but when I try to play the show, only a few minutes will actually be recorded.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Duke,
What you describe is exactly what I am seeing with my DXC3400 except I haven't seen the cant record 2 HD programs at the same time problem but maybe I haven't tried to do that yet. My DCX3400 seems to be fine for about 10 to 12 days but then it starts acting up again. I am still able to view recordings that were done before or after but not the ones recorded while this problem is occurring. Once I power cycle it for at least 10 seconds it works fine again for another 10 to 12 days. I'm thinking of power cycling it once a week as a preemptive way to keep it reliable for a longer period of time than just 10 to 12 days. I work in the computer hardware biz and this seems like a firmware issue to me. This being a fairly new box might explain why all the bugs haven't been worked out yet. I don't know how to get it upgraded to the latest firmware without going through Comcast which could be a major pain in the A$$ but I'm going to explore that. Other than this issue which is a MAJOR ONE! I'm very happy with the increased capacity of this unit over my previous Comcast DVR but it has to be RELIABLE which it currently is not.
JPW
Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I found out that the issue was my Motorola Signal Booster/AMP. I have my main cable feed connected to the signal booster and the signal booster is connected to a four-way splitter.

I had the four splits attached to four USB TV tuners connected to my computer. In three years, I've never had a signal/recording issue with this configuration. When I received the DCX3400, I replaced one of the USB TV tuners with this unit. When I connected the fourth split to the DCX3400, I started having the recording issues that I mentioned earlier.

All I had to do in order to correct the DCX3400 recording problem was to power off and then power on my Motorola Signal Booster/AMP. It must have been some kind of signal issue that was creating the recording problems.

I reset the power on the Motorola booster three weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwil View Post

Duke,
I just got a DXC3400 about a month ago and I am having the same issue you discribed. Did you ever get yours fixed? When I remove power it starts working again for about 2 weeks but cant watch the previous recordings that were effected by this issue.
JPWIL

x2 with no splitter on the line.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Same problem here with no splitter. Any progress with this?

For me, the problem didn't show up until the hdd usage went passed about 40%. So I thought it might be a bad part of the hdd. We've had the DVR for about 6 months.