Comcast DVR Troubles - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm grasping at straws here. I've checked most of the tech sites available with walk-thru's regarding my issue. I've had 4 yes...4 Comcast "techs" visit my apartment in the past two months trying to resolve the issue.

My S/N is low, and fluxuates wildly in the low range.

Quick history:

The box I have is the completely rectangular Motorola DVR box, it's a silver case with a black rectangular front panel. Every once in a while, the picture will drop, become pixilated, or the audio will cut out. It has done it to the point that recording a 30 minute show will come up as 30 1-minute long recordings. I'm connected via HDMI. The box has never overheated, and my S/N is in the low 20's at best.

Tech #1: Tightened connections in my basement. This helped for about 2 weeks, then it started to happen again (pixilation/audio cutting).

Tech #2: Tightened more connections, ran some diagnostics, couldn't reproduce it, and left.

Tech #3: Replaced a jack in my apartment, and replaced the splitter. Then commented, "I will come back tomorrow morning, and bring you the new "Black Box" DVR we just started using....he never came back

I called again two days later, and said, "Send out a new tech, I still have this problem, and was told I need the black box new DVR". Well, they sent out #4 and instead of the new box, he showed up with the older box (all silver with rounded buttons/center plate). After hooking that in, the dB would not get above 17! I told him to take that POS out, and give me back my old box. He did this, and then installed an inline cable amplifier (DC power supply with cable in/out). He also hacked out about 25 extra feet of cable that the first genius decided I needed 3 years ago when I first got cable. This has allowed my cable to remain fairly stable in the 20.7-21.0 range. However, it still drops below 20 dB once in a while and audio cuts or it pixilates

So I come here to ask you folks, what gives? Will the new "black box" solve my problem. I believe it's the DCX-3400? Is there something else I can try?
It seems even though I've asked for the box, they refuse to give it to me. I have no idea what else I can do to try and solve this problem.

Brand new plasma TV, brand new 5.1 setup, and some ***tty cable. This chaps my ass.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page