Cisco 8642 PVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all, is the new Rogers PVR (Cisco 8642) generally better than their older model (8300HD)? also, if you can record two shows at once with its dual tv tuner, why does it only have one coaxil input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post

also, if you can record two shows at once with its dual tv tuner, why does it only have one coaxil input?

Because it splits the cable feed internally to the separate QAM tuner stages. You don't need any extra hardware to do that with OTA antenna or cable. With satellite it's more complicated for various reasons, so if you're comparing to a satellite DVR, just know that the way the two work is fairly different.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Liked: 10
I got the new PVR a couple weeks ago and I find it worse to be honest. Doesn't do anything special except the initial screen that used to come on from Rogers no longer does, (That makes it worth it) and the phone call display does not work. I turned that off anyways. It seems to hesitate after being paused where you will hear sound but the picture takes a second or two to start. Just a bit annoying. And when taping, we have to start a show 1 minute ahead so 8:59 PM instead of 9:00 PM as we will lose the first minute.

I'm not sure if there are any firmware updates are how to get them. No real instruction manual and I have not tried to find it online yet.

One thing I'd like to mention, I did get the 500GB PVR Extender adn that seems to function perfectly with this unit.

KC
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page