External Drive Recognized - space not used - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I connected an Iomega 1Tb external SATA drive designed for DVRs to my SA 8300HD. When I reboot I get the following message:

"An external hard drive has been detected and is ready for use. To Disconnect...wait 10 seconds..."

However, the existing drive space is still at 97%. The DVR is not using the external drive. If I try to record it tells me that I need to delete some programs first.

How do I get the DVR to use the external drive?!

I rebooted several times to no avail. Damn thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Solved it! I had to do the one thing they say you should NOT do which is to unplug the SATA drive power while the system is running. When I did so I got a warning message saying basically "Don't do that". I turned off the DVR, waited 15 minutes, plugged the power plug back into the SATA drive.

I turned on the DVR and got a message saying "This drive needs to be formatted for this DVR and will take approximately 2 minutes". Fantastic! I waited and after about 30 seconds it said it was done. I pressed "LIST" on the remote and now total space is 13%, and thankfully, all of my other recordings are still there... whew!