FiOS router, stb questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am currently using FiOS with a TiVo HD and am planning to switch back their PVR soon. Because I don't have their PVR, I've been using a linksys wrt-54gl running DD-WRT as my router, which I love and find much more reliable than when I did use the fios router back in the past.

What I would like to know is if I can put the fios router behind the DD-WRT router. I know I have to use their router for the coax connection to feed something back into the pvr (why can't they just use ethernet for that?) but I hate to have to use that router for anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 165
What you want to do is possible. I believe you can go to their website and find a way to set their modem/router to just be a modem so your router is used. I use their router with no problems so I haven't had to do what you want to. I asked the tech when he set it up and he said it is possible.

I hope that helps. Wish I had more info for you.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #3 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I use the fios wireless router and it's been pretty good. I just added a spare wrt-54g v6 and put on DD-WRT firmware. I put the linksys in my media room in repeater/bridge mode. It's great because I can hook up all my media room non-wireless devices like blu-ray players and the xbox 360 to the linksys ports and it bridges over to the fios router wireless. In addition, the repeater function gives me good reception in the master bedroom (the only dead zone I had) with my laptop. I'm sure you know where it is if you loaded the firmware, but here is the repeater/bridge walk-through:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
post #4 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In the past when I used their router I had trouble with it being reliable handing out DHCP addresses and certain devices didn't like connecting to it's wireless connection. So I'd rather go with a DD-WRT router as it has far more features, it's more reliable, and I trust it's firewall more.

But I have to use the coax connection on their router, apparently. I believe it is some sort of TCP/IP connection, just done over coax. So what I'd like to do is hook that router up behind the DD-WRT router just to give the coax connection access to the internet.

I did have to exchange the FIOS router in the past, and I've never used the new one they sent me, so perhaps it will work as a wireless-G router for me, and I could still have the DD-WRT router handle DHCP as I like to use static IPs for a number of devices.

Another issue I've run into is that I had my linksys working as the primary router, and the N router was just hanging off it, handling only N devices. I decided to put DD-WRT on the N router, and have that take over everything, unfortunately a couple devices couldn't use the N router, either they couldn't see it, or they couldn't maintain a connection. It's rather odd. As a result I'm still running both of my routers.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 AM

Liked: 10
If I were to cave and get FiOS, how much can I avoid using Verizon's inferior equipment? I have the gigabit router, and I'd be willing to pony up the cost of whatever device they use to connect the fibre to ethernet.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I have not had a problem (other than wireless range) with my fios router using fiber to the house. dd-wrt took care of the range issue. I have multiple hosts on 24x7, they don't drop.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post

If I were to cave and get FiOS, how much can I avoid using Verizon's inferior equipment? I have the gigabit router, and I'd be willing to pony up the cost of whatever device they use to connect the fibre to ethernet.

Verizon will provide a cable card if you don't want to use their STBs or PVRs. They charge about $3.99 a month I think. Then for the internet any router will do. Their interface is CAT5 and doesn't require anything special (at least in my area). They do dhcp and the only issue I've run into is they limit the number of MAC addresses you can connect to their system with, so if you switch routers you have to tell the router to release the DHCP connection, or call them to have it reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

I have not had a problem (other than wireless range) with my fios router using fiber to the house. dd-wrt took care of the range issue. I have multiple hosts on 24x7, they don't drop.

I did get a new router from them when mine went out a while back, but while I was waiting I switched to a linksys with DD-WRT and haven't looked back. I received my PVR from them last week and have hooked it up, and I managed to get an IP assigned to it by using their router and having it connected behind my router. But it wouldn't connect and get data, however they haven't updated my service yet so it may not be turned on at this time.

I'll report back once I get things configured. I should be able to do it soon. When I changed my services for fios they said it'd start on 10/6, and my tivo expires on 10/11, so that worked out nicely. I also upgraded my internet to 35mbps. That should be sweet.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Keith its the same with Comcast, If I switch routers all I have to do is restart the cable modem (which I own) and let it restart. I just don't want to be subject to having to return equipment at the whim of Verizon. I'm perfectly happy with Comcast, if they'd ever give me more damn HD channels.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well Verizon installs some hardware in your house when they do the install, there's a box that splits out the fiber to cat 5, coax, and the phone line, as well as a UPS. In my case they put the UPS in the garage and the rest outside. I don't believe they take that back if you cancel, but I'm not sure. From there I had the option for them to plug into my house's wiring for the cat 5, or have them run a new line. So there isn't really anything equivalent to the cable modem.

BTW, years ago I had a cable modem, and they switched that out every time I had connectivity issues. After that I decided I'd never want to have to own that device, because I knew that if I had any problems they'd lay blame on my hardware.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Well Verizon installs some hardware in your house when they do the install, there's a box that splits out the fiber to cat 5, coax, and the phone line, as well as a UPS. In my case they put the UPS in the garage and the rest outside. I don't believe they take that back if you cancel, but I'm not sure. From there I had the option for them to plug into my house's wiring for the cat 5, or have them run a new line. So there isn't really anything equivalent to the cable modem.

BTW, years ago I had a cable modem, and they switched that out every time I had connectivity issues. After that I decided I'd never want to have to own that device, because I knew that if I had any problems they'd lay blame on my hardware.

Makes sense but my experience was that when I fist got Comcast I picked up their cable modem and wasn't getting the right speeds, slower then dsl, sent a tech out and was told it was the modem, and to purchase my own. I did, issue remained, then they realized they set me my account wrong. After that was fixed, perfect performance.
Anyway I don't know where they would setup the equipment because I don't have electrical outlets in the garage or basement, and it has to be a seamless transistion, which I'm thinking is impossible.

Thanks for the info dude.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I'm pleased to report that I have the FIOS box behind my router, and it appears to be working fine. Initially I could not get it to work, and I don't know why, but eventually, after using their router to connect to the internet and getting the STB activated, I found that I could switch back to using my router with the internet and having theirs only doing the coax connection.

I've also successfully tested the PVR remote from Verizon on my Android phone and I do not have to connect using their wireless connection, it'll work via my own router just fine. Now if they'd only activate the ethernet port on the back of the STB things would be much simpler.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page