About to get Fios installed - Need advice on TiVo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I'm about to get Fios TV installed in a couple of weeks. (Already have Fios Broadband) and I wanted to get your advice on my TiVo options.

I've read the forums regarding the differences between the Fios Hd DVR and the TiVo and I'm aware of the pros and cons. Pretty much I'm going for the TiVo for the extra recording capacity and what I would miss the most would be the losing the on demand option, so here's a workaround I came up with: (You guys chime in and let me know if you think this is doable):

I have 2 HDTVs in my home, one in my Bedroom, one in my wife's lounge area. Fios is giving me 1 HD Home media DVR free for a year (this is their current highest model), so I thought I could get a TiVo for the other TV and since both the Fios Home media DVR and the TiVo offer the option to watch in multiple TVs I thought this would be a way to get the best both systems have to offer. My plan is as follows:

I will install the Fios Home Media DVR in my wife's Lounge area, and If I can get somehow to operate it from my bedroom via RF remote, do you guys think this way I would be able to watch on demand shows in my bedroom using that DVR?

My bedroom would have the TiVo Hd, so pretty much I would watch all my recorded shows in my bedroom using the tiVo HD and when I want to watch on demand I could just switch inputs to the Fios Home media DVR located in the wife's area and watch on demand in the bedroom. Does this sound doable to you guys? Do you know if the FIOS home media DVR can be operated via RF? (I have a harmony remote in the bedroom that I would use for this purpose).

And my second question: I've heard that the new TiVo premier is quite buggy since it's pretty much on its early stages and I want a no frills TiVo experience since I've never had a TiVo before. So I was thinking buying a TiVo HD instead of the premiere. What do you guys think? and Which is the best TiVo HD model I could purchase that would give me the best bang for my buck? I'm a Netflix subscriber so if the TiVo HD I buy can stream Netflix that would be awesome. By the way, how much do you TiVo owners had to pay for the cable cards? is that something you pay monthly or is it a one time charge?

I appreciate your advice on this.

Cheers.

What if I go for a little bigger screen, just a couple of hundred dollars more, but this is really IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 AM

No you will not be able to watch on demand videos from the fios media receiver through your tivo, there are software restrictions and copyright restrictions to prevent that.

I have the premiere, haven't had any problems with it, it seems snappy, but software updates will always bring new features, plus you can always use the SD menus for the best option in the meantime though like I said the HD menus seem good for me.
I would recommend the premiere over the TiVo HD because it has faster hardware, a larger hard drive, and its simply better in my opinion, and I think it would be a mistake not to get it, especially for FiOS.

Your question about the cablecard can only be answered by this. It depends on the company. Comcast for example rents the first cablecard on the account for free, and a charge for every additional card, while other companies may charge like $2 to $5 a month per card. Your best bet is to Contact FiOS and ask. I know that Verizon rents theirs at $3.99 a month.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-07-2010, 01:05 PM

I have TiVo HD with an external HDD and have no desire to upgrade to Premiere. If both were about the same price, I probably would have gone with Premiere, but there are no features that I missing out on.
TiVo HD supports Netflix. Also Blockbuster, Amazon, and a ton of podcasts.
I don't have On Demand with the TiVo, and the price of a card (multistream) is $3.99 per month, however, they also give me a credit for it; not sure if I got them to give me the card for free for a year, or forever.
Now, wouldn't it make sense for you to have 2 matching boxes so you can watch the shows without recording them twice?
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page