Can anyone tell me why having Tivo is better than a FiOS Home DVR box? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If you want to save a few bucks, TiVo.com has them both refurbished right now for $100.00 less.

that is totally correct, also if you are a current subscriber you can get a discount there too.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

There's ESPN3 free, on the internet, for one.

I watch pretty much every Phillies and Flyers game. I don't think ESPN3 from the internet is going to cover any of that.
post #33 of 40 Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Yeah, I know - it wouldn't do jack for me either.

But all you asked about was "sports".
post #34 of 40 Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I know - it wouldn't do jack for me either.

But all you asked about was "sports".

True true. I did.
post #35 of 40 Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 PM

I have been a long time, 2 Tivo guy. I absolutely love it but I cant justify upgrading my Humax Tivo DVR to the HD versions. FIOS just got turned up in the neighborhood and I was getting offers of $200 off list for a new HD unit. I posted my logic on the TIVO forums and was brutally flamed... It was like it was an Apple forum and I wasnt a real convert or something...

Frankly I still havent heard a reasonable argument. As a software developer by profession, I appreciate a well designed interface, quick response to menu selections, and all of the intangibles. I use it every day, watch almost nothing but sports realtime, when I watch sports with others who dont have a TIVO I get irritated , havent had a lick of problems with the hardware in 5 years, have a liftime subscription for progamming sched on one unit, liked the first one so much I bought the DVD recorder when it came out, etc. I am a true believer!... It just seems to me that the costs are ridiculous now. I think I was at $800 for the 3-year service and the reasonable storage space unit - I think the premium. And all I got was HD and the option to buy movies from Netflix.

Anyway - I have heard a couple of things I hadnt the last time. I dont think I was able to find a lifetime subscription plan. It sounds like that is now available? Maybe I can transfer the one I have now? --- 5 yr programming at $130/yr is $650...

To the previous guy who is going all internet - cant you just go to a software DVR? I havent really looked but it seems like the only thing you would need is a remote. Why spend the $800 on the hardware?

Love to hear a rational discussion outside of the TIVO forums. Way too viamently(?) devoted for me....

Thanks. SB
post #36 of 40 Old 10-15-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

I see where guys are coming from but I don't think the cost is really justified. Really the only thing I need that I don't have right now is more space. I can't see shelling out hundreds of dollars for Tivo boxes just for that. Seems a bit silly unless I'm missing something.

There is one huge difference for some. Download to PC for archiving or viewing. As of today there is only one channel locally that FIOS has any copy protection on. try that with Moxi or Verizon's box. its also a nice chunk of change monthly to set up 3 rooms with MRV with verizon equipment. Isnt it 20+10+10 every month? Ouch. And even after you pay that you still have a dinky little hard drive and how many tuners? With Tivo you would have 6 tuners (3 units with 2 each)
post #37 of 40 Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM

For me besides it just being TiVo and they have always been reliable to be, it boiled down to price.

If you have a whole home FiOS DVR, you pay $19.99 a month or $239.88 a year. If you have a whole home DVR it also means you have other HD STB, which run you $9.99 a month per box or $119.88 per box.

In my case I have 3 rooms so it would cost me $479.64 a year with no guarantee the hardware costs wouldn't go up. This would be 1 whole home DVR and 2 HD STB.

At one point you could buy new TiVo Premieres with lifetime at $450 a piece. I believe you can get them now around $475.

Year 1 FiOS = $479.64
Year 2 FiOS = $479.64 or a total of $959.28
Year 3 FiOS = $479.64 or a total of $1438.92

Year 1 TiVO = $1425 + $143.64 for CableCARDS or $1568.64
Year 2 TiVO = $143.64 or $1712.28
Year 3 TiVo = $143.64 or $1855.92

While in this case TiVo is more expensive, it isn't a true comparison. With FiOS, you have 2 tuners and 20 hours of HD versus TiVo's 6 Tuners and 135 hours with the ability to upgrade the drives for even more storage. You lose VOD, but gain access to Netflix, Amazon, and eventually Hulu Plus.

If you truly want an equal comparison you are looking at 3 HD DVRs from FiOS at $15.99 per month per box or $191.88 a year per box.

Year 1 FiOS = $575.64
Year 2 FiOS = $575.64 or a total of $1154.28
Year 3 FiOS = $1726.92

Year 1 TiVO = $1425 + $143.64 for CableCARDS or $1568.64
Year 2 TiVO = $143.64 or $1712.28
Year 3 TiVo = $143.64 or $1855.92

Now going into the fourth year you save $303 and every year after that you save $432 assuming no increase in hardware fees from FiOS. On top of this the TiVos you have paid for have actual value and can be resold which still puts you ahead if you sell anytime during the 3 years.

This is all based off buying 3 Premieres, and you can buy 3 TiVo HDs with lifetime for even cheaper.
post #38 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a FiOS user switches to Tivo, they will lose all On Demand functionality....correct?
post #39 of 40 Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Actually sorry guys, no need to answer my question above. Since I just saw this http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/v...external-stor/

I sure as heck wont be switching to Tivo!
post #40 of 40 Old 11-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Well, as one who is a former TiVo user and just got the new Vios DVR installed today, I can say that I can't get back to TiVo fast enough. The Vios interface is beyond stupid. And, seriously, it's 2010, how can they not offer the ability to set guide preferences? Sure, you can set up "favorites" but they are not defaults, so you have push four (4!) buttons to find your favorite guide and then you can't scroll channels with it, you can only go top to bottom or bottom to top. Moreover, if you flip thru channels, you have to flip thru EVERY channel because the default guide is all channels and there is no way, again, to select your favorite guide to flip thru. Absolutely annoying beyond belief.

So, for those who don't understand why anyone would pay for TiVo, my .02 is that you simply don't know what you're missing. In other words, if all you've ever done is walk, then a bike looks great. But you don't know what you're missing by now driving a car.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page