newbie wants to get a snapshot (jpg picture) of what's on a dvr record hdtv show - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a hd dvr from the cable company (no dvd burning ability). Am interested in getting a jpg snapshot of what is recorded and showing on my hdtv screen download to a pc. Any chance of this? I read months ago that cable companies have to provide fire wire output on a dvr box. If so is this at all feasable? I am interested in a high quality picture as it shows on my hd tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The IEEE-1394 (FireWire) port won't let you do that. The only thing you can do is play back a recording or watch a live show, and transport the raw MPEG transport stream over FireWire (if it's not flagged as copy-once, you can capture it on a computer, otherwise it'll be encrypted using 5C DTCP-1394 encryption). The menu screens aren't part of that, so you won't be able to see that via the FireWire port.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
If I can get the recording or live show captured on a computer then maybe I can make jpg snapshots of scenes I am interested in.

When this data ends up recorded on a pc, is it stored in a common format? Is it still high definition when it gets to the pc?

Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsattle View Post

When this data ends up recorded on a pc, is it stored in a common format? Is it still high definition when it gets to the pc?

The stream is an MPEG transport stream, containing MPEG-2 video and Dolby Digital audio; the video will be whatever was sent to your cable box. If you just want a screencap of a specific frame of video, many players should be able to do that. Again, as long as it's not protected content (flagged "copy-once"), assuming the FireWire port is active (you'll find out pretty quickly, if it's not it just won't selfID on the FireWire bus at all), you should be able to capture. I'm not sure of what tools to use - that depends on the OS, but I know there are threads about it.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page