DirecTV HR24 Can't access external drives - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-17-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correction: After a full reset of the HR24, I was able to get the new WD drive working. Unfortunately, I lost all the recordings on the old drive because, as I learned, a full reset changes the encryption code that links the DVR to a specific drive. The content is still on the old drive but it is not accessible.

I've had a 1 TB external hard drive on my HR24 working since September. The generic eSata enclosure has always caused electrical noise(AC Hum) on AM radios in my house so I purchased a Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDBABT0010HBK-NESN* to replace the old drive.

When I followed DirecTV's instructions for adding the new drive, the unit would not recognize the drive and defaulted to the internal drive. After several tries I gave up and hooked up the old drive which it now won't recognize. Tried again several times following the instructions carefully. No joy. Cannot access any of my recordings.

As a last resort, I disconnected the old external drive and did a full system reset on the DVR, wiping our the internal drive. I then tried hooking up the old external again. The DVR still will not recognize it.

Help please, my wife is really going to be pissed when I tell her we lost all the recordings.

Thanks in advance, Joel

*Note: When I checked the box on the WD drive, it says it is compatible with HR15, 20, 21, 22 and 23 - no mention of HR24. Kind of strange since the WD drive is a new model and it does not appear to work with DirecTV's latest receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I use a BlacX docking bay withg a 2TB drive. It's worked great for me and I can swap drives as well has having zero fan noise!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but what external hd can I use for the hr24-100?

tia
post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Works well but the drive light is always lit up and never seems to power down.

Anyone see this issue ? Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by H( . Y . )TeRs View Post

Sorry to bump an old thread but what external hd can I use for the hr24-100?

tia

im sure weaknees.com has one
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhe View Post

Correction: After a full reset of the HR24, I was able to get the new WD drive working. Unfortunately, I lost all the recordings on the old drive because, as I learned, a full reset changes the encryption code that links the DVR to a specific drive. The content is still on the old drive but it is not accessible.

I've had a 1 TB external hard drive on my HR24 working since September. The generic eSata enclosure has always caused electrical noise(AC Hum) on AM radios in my house so I purchased a Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDBABT0010HBK-NESN* to replace the old drive.

When I followed DirecTV's instructions for adding the new drive, the unit would not recognize the drive and defaulted to the internal drive. After several tries I gave up and hooked up the old drive which it now won't recognize. Tried again several times following the instructions carefully. No joy. Cannot access any of my recordings.

As a last resort, I disconnected the old external drive and did a full system reset on the DVR, wiping our the internal drive. I then tried hooking up the old external again. The DVR still will not recognize it.

Help please, my wife is really going to be pissed when I tell her we lost all the recordings.

Thanks in advance, Joel

*Note: When I checked the box on the WD drive, it says it is compatible with HR15, 20, 21, 22 and 23 - no mention of HR24. Kind of strange since the WD drive is a new model and it does not appear to work with DirecTV's latest receiver.

did u remember to start the esata at least 30 secs before u restart ur receiver
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General