onBoard Video Recording - Precision/Performance cars - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am an Advanced Tactical Driving Instructor and I am considering setting up in all our vehicles an onBoard Video recording system consisting of 4 cameras and a DVR.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinpa View Post

Can you fine gentlemen and gentlewomen help me find the adequate hardware for our project? Am I close to the truth with the above hardware requirement specifications?

What would be the best/closest lens FOV and focal distance that would emulate the human eye when the footage will be transferred and viewed on the DVD?

What would be the minimum effective pixels of the recording camera in order to achieve a high quality DVD content?

Let me be the first to provide some response, which might trigger others (usually does).

Std DVD recorders and DVRs discussed in these forums won't do what you want for many reasons. However, there are MANY web sites selling reasonably priced multi-camera "surveillance systems" that should work for you, with many operated via 12-volt power, and with HD upgrade options (for optimum digital quality if that matters).

Here's one of those sites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 4 Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Let me be the first to provide some response, which might trigger others (usually does).

Std DVD recorders and DVRs discussed in these forums won't do what you want for many reasons. However, there are MANY web sites selling reasonably priced multi-camera "surveillance systems" that should work for you, with many operated via 12-volt power, and with HD upgrade options (for optimum digital quality if that matters).

Thanks "wajo" so nice of ya.

The problem with the available surveillance packages is that none of the DVRs I have seen so far, and that I am aware of, are recording 1080p @30fps simultaneously on all four channels. The most I have seen so far, it was a 4Ch DVR recording 1080p @30fps simultaneously on only 2 ch, and the other two CIF @ 15fps

For the purposes of creating a high quality DVD, what would be the minimum requirements as far as the (NTSC) recording camera is concerned?

* Would 480TVL be enough or I'll need 520TVL or more?
* How about the minimum effective pixels?
* Does the recording resolution have to be 1080p/i or I get by with Full D1 (high profile)?

I believe we will need a customs solution as we need about 15-20 systems (for starters)
post #4 of 4 Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinpa View Post
Thanks "wajo" so nice of ya.

The problem with the available surveillance packages is that none of the DVRs I have seen so far, and that I am aware of, are recording 1080p @30fps simultaneously on all four channels. The most I have seen so far, it was a 4Ch DVR recording 1080p @30fps simultaneously on only 2 ch, and the other two CIF @ 15fps

For the purposes of creating a high quality DVD, what would be the minimum requirements as far as the (NTSC) recording camera is concerned?

* Would 480TVL be enough or I'll need 520TVL or more?
* How about the minimum effective pixels?
* Does the recording resolution have to be 1080p/i or I get by with Full D1 (high profile)?

I believe we will need a customs solution as we need about 15-20 systems (for starters)
Best I can tell you is that, with consumer DVD recorders/DVRS like the latest Magnavox MDR515H/F7, the DVD-std 480i recording is very good from a good source when recording at 1-hr-HQ or 2-hr-SP rec modes, which are full D1 res.

With a 500GB HDD, this std def (SD) recorder can hold 103 hours at 1-hr-HQ (10.97Mbps) or 206 hours at 2-hr-SP (5.49Mbps).

You definitely won't miss any "details" in your "controlled" usage environment.

Altho using a true HD 1080 recording system would be "the best," IMO 480i at a high-bit-rate rec mode using an excellent encoder like the one in the Magnavox 515, should provide excellent results, esp. with movement (no macroblocking with fast movement at any rec mode).

Unfortunately, these are just notes for comparison and ref.... and from my "consumer" perspective. A consumer DVR like the Mag 515 would only work with a split-screen controller like surveillance systems have.

|
|
|
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page