Want to buy DVR for vacation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am beginning to spend most of the winter in Florida and the condo I rent has cable or satellite TV, I'm not sure which. I do know it has HD for the big 4 networks and comes out of the wall via coaxial cable and goes directly into the flat screen TV (no box). Another clue, perhaps, is that the few HD channels are selected from the remote using a decimal point - that is, channel 2 is 2.1, 6 is 6.1, etc. My questions: I really miss not having a DVR. 1) Can I buy a DVR to take along with me and use in this situation? 2) how about if I rent a place and it has cable or satellite with a box? Thanks for any answer and accompanying explanations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-05-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Check out this Magnavox MDR515H/F7 for a simple to use std def HDD-DVD recorder?

Click #1 in my sig. for a list of help files to answer all your questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 8 Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, wajo! Thanks for ALL the info. It looks like this unit would be perfect and, if I've read correctly:

1) I don't have to know what kind of feed comes out of the wall -am I correct?

2) The Magnavox MDR515H/F7 only has one tuner - is there a dual tuner unit available?

Thank you!
post #4 of 8 Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingw View Post

Wow, wajo! Thanks for ALL the info. It looks like this unit would be perfect and, if I've read correctly:

1) I don't have to know what kind of feed comes out of the wall -am I correct?

2) The Magnavox MDR515H/F7 only has one tuner - is there a dual tuner unit available?

1) The 515 will tune both antenna and cable. You just have to select which one when you scan for channels (Auto Channel Preset). If it's antenna, you'd select "Antenna." If it's cable TV, you'd choose "Cable (Analog/Digital)."

2) Only one tuner, but the coax is just a passthru so it sends the raw signal to your TV for tuning by its tuner, so you can record one channel on the 515 while watching another channel on the TV. You could also watch a prev. recorded show from the HDD, or a DVD, while recording.

|
|
|
post #5 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Interesting product, a family member of mine has one and absolutely loves it, and he's darn picky with his electronics. He says it's "old school" but it works perfect for what he needs it for.

Besides less hard drive space, does anyone know if there's any glaring differences compared to the less expensive MDR-513H/F7 model? Looking at the specs i can't see anything that stands out...

Link to the MDR-513H/F7: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=14291489
post #6 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

Interesting product, a family member of mine has one and absolutely loves it, and he's darn picky with his electronics. He says it's "old school" but it works perfect for what he needs it for.

Besides less hard drive space, does anyone know if there's any glaring differences compared to the less expensive MDR-513H/F7 model? Looking at the specs i can't see anything that stands out...

Link to the MDR-513H/F7: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=14291489

There are quite a few improvements added to the 515 based on a user Wish List. To me, the addition of pre-titling of timer programs is worth $100 over the "old-school" time/date of the 513.

Here's a comparison chart that details the differences.

|
|
|
post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
There are quite a few improvements added to the 515 based on a user Wish List. To me, the addition of pre-titling of timer programs is worth $100 over the "old-school" time/date of the 513.

Here's a comparison chart that details the differences.
Thank you, and sorry for not replying sooner.

Wow, the 515 is leagues ahead, and for only $35-$40 more than the 513.

The 513 may be ok for some that only need a watered-down feature set, but the 515 would be too much of a temptation imho. And the fact that the company incorporated a user "wish list" is certainly the icing and cherry on the cake.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 AM

Thanks for sharing such a nice topic. I also wants to buy this kind of DVR for my family.

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page