Transfer from Time Warner Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD to Personal Computer??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some movies recorded on a Time Warner Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD, and I am wondering whether it is possible to transfer them to a personal computer.

As far as I know, these are all "normal" resolution [DVD quality] movies, and none of them are HD.

Now our Explorer 8300HD seems to have a choice of two outputs:

1) A single bayonet-connector coaxial cable

or

2) Three video [Pr/Pb/Y] RCA outs plus two stereo sound [L & R] RCA outs for a total of five RCA outs

So can I use one of these outputs, and connect to maybe something like a Hauppauge card [or a Hauppauge box], and then get "analog" copies of my movies?

Or does Time Warner program their Explorers to emit analog "do not copy" metadata?

I ask because a few years ago, we had a very late model analog VCR, which refused to record some Time Warner programs, in the 0 to 99 channel range, because of the presence of some sort of analog "do not copy" metadata.

And I certainly don't want to go blowing $100 or $200 on a Hauppauge [or AVerMedia or Leadtek] "solution" if it is known that this sort of thing is impossible.

So thanks in advance to anyone who has tried to make "analog" transfers from this setup [either successfully, or unsuccessfully], and who would like to share their experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't speak for a Times Warner Explorer 8300HD box, but I regularly record from my Charter Explorer 3250HD box to a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 box and into my PC without any copyright flag issues. I record both in HD and SD, and never once had a problem.

You're generally not going to have that problem if you record from the Explorer's component video outputs (Pr/Pb/Y) anyway as the issue is usually found in the video (single yellow RCA jack) or svideo (round four pin DIN jack) outputs. I don't think they ever thought that they'd need it in the component outputs, to tell the truth. Before purchasing the Hauppauge PVR about a year ago, when I recorded from my box to a standalone Panasonic DVD recorder with an internal hard drive for storage (using an svideo connection), I had occasional problems with that and finally had to use a processor box between the cable box and the DVD recorder to clean that up. Now I don't even think twice about that.

I like the Hauppauge box for a lot of reasons. The quality, even with analog connections, is outstanding. Don't let the fact that it's an analog connection to your cable box scare you off, as long as you use the component connections it's impressive.

The Hauppauge box has both component inputs and "loop through" outputs, so you can simply insert it between your cable box and your TV, if you're already using component to connect the cable box. Note that it doesn't play back files to your TV via the outputs, it just replicates the cable box input signal so you can hook it up easier for recording. For file playback, I use a Western Digital WDTV box that can access the files on my PC on my home network and connected as another input to my TV.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page