Confused, Are DVR cross out for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i am bit confused, I been wanting to get a DVR. But without a monthly fee/subscription.

I was looking into Tivo but i heard you need to pay monthly fees and that your TV has to have a box.
I use charter cable services, i do not know if it's scramble or not, how can i know this?
One of the TV,s does not have a box on it it is connected directly into the wall.

I am looking for something basic, record shows at whatever time i program it to and done.
I spent about an hour reading on Magnavox I did end up a bit confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
The Magnavox 515 will do what you want.

If your TV that doesn't have a box has a digital tuner and gets all the channels you want, so will the 515... no need for a cableco box.

If you need the cableco's box to descramble some channels, those can be recorded thru a line output from the box (composite YWR or S-Video) as long as they're not copy-protected.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

It gets all the channels i want. The 515 is a bit expensive. I will most likely buy it use what is an old model that can do the job?

The cheaper the better it's going to be used to record some drama shows. Well just 3 every night actually.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post

I was looking into Tivo but i heard you need to pay monthly fees and that your TV has to have a box.

If you're talking about the older, discontinued standard definition TiVo models, you could look for one used that has the pre-paid, lifetime fee included (they're out there, and usually pretty cheap, too - Craigslist would be a good place to look for one right in your area).

That way, you wouldn't have any monthly fees.

It's true that you'd need an external tuner from the cable company if your channels are digital, but the TiVo is designed to control the tuner using an "IR blaster".

And if you're subscribing to what they call a "digital package", you should get at least the first tuner free of charge.

You will at least have a guide with info, and will be able to program the recordings directly through that, rather than having to set manual timers with something like the Magnavox.

Something called "Replay TV" would be similar to the old TiVo's.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hi i have a stand alone panasonic pvr that works just like a vhs. i also have replaytv which has a service charge but prepaid ones Are available on ebay and a panasonic may be available too. both are sd. dan
post #6 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM

i just checked ebay and the panasonic dmr e80h (my model) and the better dmr e100h is there too. these are good if u plan to copy to dvd from ur hdd. they have built in dvd rec/plavers.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post

It gets all the channels i want. The 515 is a bit expensive. I will most likely buy it use what is an old model that can do the job?

The cheaper the better it's going to be used to record some drama shows. Well just 3 every night actually.

You can get a refurb'd 513 from J&R for $160, a reilaible source. The 513 is the immediate predecessor to the 515.

Here's a chart showing the differences.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2011, 02:30 PM

checked out the mag, looks good. upconverts too. modern version of the pan.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post
checked out the mag, looks good. upconverts too. modern version of the pan.
Other than the fact that they are both HDD/DVD recorders, I don't really think they are comparable, feature-wise. There are reasons the Panasonics cost more. But the Magnavox is a good unit for the money, and will do the basics just fine (the "refurbed" ones from J&R are the best, "cheapest" deal out there).

The "upscaling" in the Magnavox isn't anything special. It's not as good as the HDMI Panasonics, so you pretty much get what you pay for there, too. If you have a good, upscaling display, it's likely to do better itself.

Between the two, for extended DVD-authoring features, go with the Panny (I'm talking about a brand-new, international model - not one of those old, worn-out, used, US models - they were discontinued nearly a decade ago). For simple time-shifting and the transferring of programs to DVD, the Magnavox is more than good enough. If your main need is something that functions adequately as a manual time-setting "DVR", they're both the same in that regard, so you might as well go with the one that's cheaper and has the built-in, digital tuner.

If the OP's not particularly concerned with HD, it probably wouldn't hurt to at least check into those older, used Replay TV's and TiVo's (with the lifetime fee), since you get a guide and don't have to set manual timers.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 PM

What about replaytv?
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page