Anyone seen instructions to replace hdd in DCT6412? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-18-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Location: St. Catharines (near Niagara Falls) Ontario, Canada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Motorola PVR (DCT6412/2005) keeps coming up with an onscreen error message saying that "DVR service is not available or is currently disabled."

I've called my cable provider (Cogeco) a couple of times and they both 'reset' it and (I think) downloaded the latest firmware. I, too, have done a 'hard reset' based on instructions I found on-line. (I own this unit; it's NOT under warranty; it's worked perfectly for three years...up until (I think) a power failure in the neighbourhood last week.)

It works great as a 'tuner', providing all the channels I subscribe to, but as soon as I push any of the PVR buttons on the remote (like rewind, forward, pause, stop, play) all I get is a very brief flash of a light on the Motorola's display screen. When I press LIST on the remote, I get the on-screen error message.

Is it safe to assume my drive is pooched? (That's what the Help desk folks at Cogeco have suggested "may" be the problem. They're trying to be helpful.....but they don't get very far into the techy side of these things.)

I found out how to display the unit's on-screen diagnostics. Is there any info on this panel that would tell me what my problem is?

Should I be popping the lid on this unit and giving everything inside a good "shake"?

If the HDD IS fried, can I simply replace it with any old 120GB computer drive?
Are there specific procedures I have to perform...or is it a wham-bam installation?

Has anyone done this? Or at least seen instructions anywhere?

Thanks for any help, guys!

Mike
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page