Happague 1212 HD PVR with Cable box TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

Does anyone here have any any experience using the Happague 1212 to record their TV from a cable box?

Also, do you have any issues streaming your recording on an media extender or streaming device.

Such as the popcorn hour, appletv, PS3, Xbox, Xbox extender, linksys media center,etc....

Thank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 PM

I use mine and record regularly in SD and also in 720p and 1080i using component video and stereo audio from my cable box. I play back on my PC and also over my network to a WDTV box onto my Panasonic 1080 plasma with excellent results.

I can also drag the files it makes into a video editing program to delete commercial breaks and to re-encode the file to some other format, such as to an iPad.

It comes with a utility to set up timer recordings and an IR blaster to set the channel on your cable box.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Very very nice. Sound like just what I need.

Do you mind if I ask why you only record in SD and not in HD?

Is there some kind of problem you ran into or did you never actually try it?

I am impressed that you got it to work with your cablebox. That has been one of my biggest concern. Also, what software are you using do schedule the show recordings? Snapstream beyond TV, myth TV, Sage, Windows 7 media center, etc.....?

Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2011, 05:21 AM

What I said was:

"I... record regularly in SD and also in 720p and 1080i "

I'm recording in HD (720p and 1080i resolutions), and also in SD depending on the program or channel. The component inputs on the 1212 record by default in HD from the component outputs of my cable box, and I also have the front panel video input wired to the cable box's composite video output so that I don't have to change any settings other than to switch inputs on the 1212 to record from the cable box in SD.

I don't understand why you say you're impressed that I got it to work. It does exactly what it is designed to to-- plug into the cable box output jacks (or between a cable box and the display) and record from it. It's very easy to set up and connect and works as advertised. The hardest part of using it is that the box must be somewhere near your computer since it connects to it with USB. I rent a second cable box and have it located with my 1212 right at my computer, and I open the preview window on my desktop when I just want to use it to watch TV on my computer screen without recording it.

I use the utility that ships with the Hauppauge box for timer recordings. It's on the software disk that comes with it. It's called WinTV Scheduler. My video editor for the files it generates is Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoosdad View Post

What I said was:

"I... record regularly in SD and also in 720p and 1080i "

I'm recording in HD (720p and 1080i resolutions), and also in SD depending on the program or channel. The component inputs on the 1212 record by default in HD from the component outputs of my cable box, and I also have the front panel video input wired to the cable box's composite video output so that I don't have to change any settings other than to switch inputs on the 1212 to record from the cable box in SD.

I don't understand why you say you're impressed that I got it to work. It does exactly what it is designed to to-- plug into the cable box output jacks (or between a cable box and the display) and record from it. It's very easy to set up and connect and works as advertised. The hardest part of using it is that the box must be somewhere near your computer since it connects to it with USB. I rent a second cable box and have it located with my 1212 right at my computer, and I open the preview window on my desktop when I just want to use it to watch TV on my computer screen without recording it.

I use the utility that ships with the Hauppauge box for timer recordings. It's on the software disk that comes with it. It's called WinTV Scheduler. My video editor for the files it generates is Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD.

I am impressed because getting these to work with the cable box is not an easy task. For example, I have a Replaytv and it is technically suppose to work with a cable box but I have never been able to get it to work. It has an outdated list of cable boxes and the one I have is not on the list.

Basically, it can't change the channel which is the entire problem!
Even when they do know your codes, I have heard that these IR blaster is unreliable and flaky. I am very glad to hear that this product works as advertised!

I just hope my popcorn hour network media tank is able to stream video in this format without problems.

Thanks again
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page