Commercial Advance Stopped Working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday commercial advance was working on my Replay 4000 series machine. Today it is not. Where do I start looking for the cause, and the fix for this problem?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Hello.

What aspect of Commercial Advance stopped working? Does it still skip commercials during (old) recordings that previosuly were skipped? Have you only experienced this with new recordings?

Commercial Advance has 3 phases. First is the recording phase. It must be on during recordings in order to locate and "mark" the commercial locations. If it was not on during a recording, there is nothing you can do on a Replay to get it back. Even if Commercial Advance was on during recording, it can be disabled or put in manual mode in playback. The modes are typically named "off, manual, automatic". When off, it is as if Commercial Advance does not exist in the machine. When in manual, you have to press a button to initiate skipping, but it will terminate the skip at the end of a commercial group. In automatic, it starts and stops the skipping hands-free.

There is a setting in one of the menus to turn Commercial Advance off or set it to manual. Check that setting.

Did anything change with regard to what you are recording and/or what is being broadcast? There are some broadcasts which simply do not work with Commercial Advance. Also, I assume you are using it in the USA with American broadcasts. There are different versions for use in other countries.

Let us know what you find out.
Commercial Advance Guy

CA GUY
post #3 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Guy View Post

Hello.

What aspect of Commercial Advance stopped working? Does it still skip commercials during (old) recordings that previosuly were skipped? Have you only experienced this with new recordings?

I've observed it on new recordings. I didn't think to look back at old recordings. I'll have a look.

Quote:

Commercial Advance has 3 phases. First is the recording phase. It must be on during recordings in order to locate and "mark" the commercial locations. If it was not on during a recording, there is nothing you can do on a Replay to get it back.

I'm not sure I knew about that. I knew it had to do something during recording but I didn't realize that it didn't always do that.

Quote:

Even if Commercial Advance was on during recording, it can be disabled or put in manual mode in playback. ...

This part I understand and use regularly, choosing not to skip commercials when playing back programs recorded on public broadcasting. We've found that there are occasional scenes in some of those shows that have a "fade to black" event between scenes and the playback skips an entire segment of the program! So, if I forget to disable it from the menu during playback, I use the button on the remote control.

Quote:

There is a setting in one of the menus to turn Commercial Advance off or set it to manual. Check that setting.

I'll look for that. That sounds like the most likely candidate.

Quote:

Did anything change with regard to what you are recording and/or what is being broadcast?

No. We mostly record from HGTV, DIY and a couple of public broadcasting stations.

I can speak to what I did just before it happened. With the upcoming loss of the schedule service I've been trying to get WiRNS working. I have more work to do to be successful. One of the tasks was to change my ReplayTV box from using DHCP to a static IP address. I was trying to do that along with making another change on the computer that is hosting WiRNS. That was probably not wise. So, I returned my ReplayTV to getting it's IP address from DHCP. The loss of channel advance occurred after that. Perhaps something else reset during that time. Oh, and we also had a power outage that afternoon. Weird. No weather event to account for it. Something might have gotten messed up then, too.

Quote:

There are some broadcasts which simply do not work with Commercial Advance.

Never had the problem before, so I don't think it's those.

Quote:

Also, I assume you are using it in the USA with American broadcasts. There are different versions for use in other countries.

Yes. Greater Portland, OR.

Quote:

Let us know what you find out.
Commercial Advance Guy

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out (it might be a couple of days -- busy weekend coming up) and let you all know the results.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Resolved.

I'm going to take a guess here and decide that the power failure was responsible for the fluke.

The 2nd evening after the power was off we watched some recorded shows. That's when we discovered commercial skip not working. My wife got out the ReplayTV yellow book and looked up what we needed to do to get it working again. We drilled down the menus and found the place where we enable commercial skip as a default recording feature. It already said that it was enabled. I disabled it and re-enabled it. We were thinking that this would make it work again for the shows we were watching then that had been recorded after the power failure. It did not. I now realize that the shows we were watching had been recorded after the power failure and before I restored the feature as a default record option.

This afternoon I looked at a program that had been recorded before the power failure. Commercial skip worked normally. I also noticed that there was a program recorded after I restored the option. Commercial skip works normally on that program, too.

I expect that this issue is resolved.

Thanks for the tips that put me on to what to look for.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page