Getting tired of paying $25/month just for the DVR box... ideas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Time Warner, my cable bill is $60 just for the channels (Digital "value" service).

But to watch these channels, I need a converter box (right?), and that costs another $16/month, and I have "DVR service", so that costs another $10 month.

So basically for no Premium channels at all, I spend $86/month on a cable bill.

Is there a legal way I can just outright buy a digital converter box? It seems like a scam that every year I spend 160 bucks just to rent the Scientific Atlantic box from them?

I googled this question, doesn't appear as an option, but thought I would check here first before cancelling cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Only way to know if you can buy your own feeless box/recorder is to find out if the channels you want are "in the clear" (unscrambled).

If you have a 16:9 HDTV, it prob. has a digital QAM tuner in it. If so, you can connect the incoming coax directly to the TV, scan for channels, and see what it picks up.

IF the TV picks up the channels you want, w/o the cable box/DVR, you can search for a standalone recording device to suit your needs.

Moxi is a HD recorder for cable channels that has a high upfront cost but no ongoing fees, as described here.

Magnavox MDR515H is a SD recorder for cable or antenna channels with low cost and no ongoing fees, as described here.

There are some others you may hear about here.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the advice, I have two TVs, one is a Pioneer Plasma (2009 purchase) and a Sony Bravia (2010) TV.

The Sony TV I haved hooked up direct to Coax, and it picks up about 50 channels out of the 500. I assume since it is newer than the Pioneer that is the best I can get without a box.

Probably go ahead and cancel, once I write out instructions for my G/F to use Netflix streaming and accessing the media server... a shame I can't watch Breaking Bad live any longer though if I cancel.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page