Panasonic PV-hs2000 help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have used this machine since it was first released somewhere around 99 or 2000. We bought two of them, it was cheaper to buy two than to buy a service contract. We wore the first one out some time ago, it stopped keeping time, without the correct time it is just a big paper weight. We got about 7 years I guess out of the first one, the second one since it had not been used didn't have the right software so we had to send it back to Panasonic and they fixed it for nothing and sent it back 2nd day air, gotta love it.

Of course the whole digital thing made it all obsolete but I installed a programmable converter box so it worked pretty much the same as it did. But this box started acting funny, it would freeze up and you would have to unplug it and replug it and that fixed it, it wasn't too terrible.

I decided it was time to pick another one up, so now we have 3. This one has the upgraded memory and a fan, I thought how cool that is going to be. We set it up yesterday and after fighting with it for several hours I finally got it to download the program guide and got it to talk to the right port(line 1). The box is useless the way it is, you can do almost nothing before it freezes up. I tried all the tricks I know and nothing works.

Short of sending it back to Panasonic which I really don't want to do, any ideas what might be causing the problem and a fix that can be made by a very amateur at such things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Whose program guide does it use? Something from Panasonic that's proprietary to this device?

If you can live without the program guide feature and are just looking for something from this decade to store analog TV programming on, you should take a look at one of the last remaining DVD recorders with an internal hard drive (and they're going the way of the dinosaur too). Basically the same box as what you have now with a DVD burner, but you probably won't get a working program guide with one anymore. You used to be able to get TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) in most of them, but that's mostly obsolete now too.

There's a very active DVD recorder forum here at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106
post #3 of 4 Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank Scoo for your reply. But the whole deal with the HS-2000 is you can still get a Program Guide, they were going to cancel it but they were forced apparently to keep it. Other than the PG I have a lot of other ways to record but the program guide is so convenient. I am afraid you could buy any number of alternatives that don't have a PG. The deal with the 2000 was you got PG that went with the machine forever and so far that has saved us a ton of money. I am going to look for someone local that can take my 3 machines and make one good working one.

Thanks,
Barry
post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Liked: 12
You'll probably get more help with this in a slightly different forum, "ReplayTV & Showstopper pvr's, which has many experts and followers. FWIW, I have the same device, & my main problem has been it's flaky remote, which needs frequent cleaning or replacement. Otherwise, it's been very reliable.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page