Zoom H2 or H2N? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure where this question should be posted, so I hope it's alright here.

Anyway, I'm about to purchase a portable digital audio recorder. The Zoom H2 was recommended by a friend, but I'm wondering whether I should buy its successor, the H2N (which I think is now retailing for about 40% more).

My needs are very basic. Primarily, I want to record a grand piano at my home, but also be able to record my kids performing in concert with their various jazz/rock groups.

I expect that I would only do the simplest of editing. For example, I may want to splice together a couple of different sections of one classical piece. And possibly, I might want to try to reduce external noise from a concert venue. But usually, I'll simply be satisfied with making a decent recording.

The simpler the device, the better.

Does anyone have an opinion whether I'm better off with the H2 or H2N? If there an alternative I should consider as well?

Thanks.

(Mods: feel free to move this thread if it is better elsewhere).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-15-2012, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynton View Post

I'm not sure where this question should be posted, so I hope it's alright here.

Anyway, I'm about to purchase a portable digital audio recorder. The Zoom H2 was recommended by a friend, but I'm wondering whether I should buy its successor, the H2N (which I think is now retailing for about 40% more).

My needs are very basic. Primarily, I want to record a grand piano at my home, but also be able to record my kids performing in concert with their various jazz/rock groups.

I expect that I would only do the simplest of editing. For example, I may want to splice together a couple of different sections of one classical piece. And possibly, I might want to try to reduce external noise from a concert venue. But usually, I'll simply be satisfied with making a decent recording.

The simpler the device, the better.

Does anyone have an opinion whether I'm better off with the H2 or H2N? If there an alternative I should consider as well?

Thanks.

(Mods: feel free to move this thread if it is better elsewhere).

I would suggest the H2n, as it has a better microphone configuration, plus one more than the H2. Be sure to get the accessory kit, because it has a nice case, wind screen, remote control, with an extension cable for it, a power supply, and a few other things. It's all black, and less conspicuous if you happen to be making a recording in a public space, like an outdoor concert. To really make up your mind, you should watch the huge library of YouTube videos on the H2n, especially the ones where people test them by recording their piano, guitar, or flute. You I'll find a little of everything in YouTube, plus some very knowledgable audio people putting the H2n through some rigorous testing, and then giving their opinion at the end.

Joe

I love a good gadget.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page