AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Recorders (PVRs) General (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/100-digital-recorders-pvrs-general/)
-   -   Pairing Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240 HDC to "My book AV DVR Expander" (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/100-digital-recorders-pvrs-general/1379860-pairing-scientific-atlanta-explorer-8240-hdc-my-book-av-dvr-expander.html)

cherylpc3 12-14-2011 09:45 AM

Does anyone know how to get my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240 HDC DVR to recognize my "My Book AV DVR Expander". I use Cox Cable in San Diego as my provider. Called them and they won't help. It is supposed to be a simple process where you plug in the extra storage to your DVR and the system automatically detects the extra storage. Then adds it to your existing storage, but no such luck. Can anyone shed any light?????

jimsaxman 10-12-2012 04:26 PM

Well, I've been struggling with this same issue and i just got the system to recognize the Expander by doing something contrary to what the manual describes. I plugged it all together with the SATA cable and turned the cable box and TV on...nothing...but, then I removed the SATA cable from the Expander and the TV said something like: "hey, you removed your hard drive!" I then plugged it back in and it asked me if I wanted to format this drive. From that point it's just a matter of following the instructions and it immediately loaded up the programs. Hope this is your issue--its really a quite simple solution. Good luck.

minuteman64 12-22-2012 12:43 PM

Good tip. Had the same issue w/my unit. Bought the Expander at the San Diego Cox Cable Store. Called Cox Tech. support and they hooked me up with a tech. in Wichata - where they don't support the expanders. So, he was unable to assist.

I was about to return the unit when I came across this post. Worked like a charm.

Thanks!

SWLinPHX 08-11-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimsaxman (Post 22488264)
Well, I've been struggling with this same issue and i just got the system to recognize the Expander by doing something contrary to what the manual describes. I plugged it all together with the SATA cable and turned the cable box and TV on...nothing...but, then I removed the SATA cable from the Expander and the TV said something like: "hey, you removed your hard drive!" I then plugged it back in and it asked me if I wanted to format this drive. From that point it's just a matter of following the instructions and it immediately loaded up the programs. Hope this is your issue--its really a quite simple solution. Good luck.

I had used both the 500 GB and 1 TB My DVR Expanders successfully with both the SA Explorer 8300HD and 8240HD in the past. Less than two years ago my 8240HD gave out after a few solid years so I exchanged it for a new one. That gave out after a month so to be "safe" I thought I'd try the new Cisco 8742HD with the new Trio Guide (Contour). That was not compatible with my expanders but it had a 1 TB hard drive so I was not concerned. That gave out finally two days ago (endless three digit screen scrolling upon reboot preceded by the letter "h") and I decided to go back to the 8240HD. Despite the Trio interface's sleek look with 16:9 graphics, there are actually several features I liked better and missed with the 8240HD: both the box (LED light) and features of the old Passport/Rovi DVR software interface (at that time I was involved in another thread here on the forum comparing the two and lamenting specific feature losses). Despite the 4:3 onscreen graphics of Rovi/Passport I still like it better and wasn't worried about it's smaller hard drive because I assumed I'd once again be able to use my 1 TB expander as I did with it a couple years ago.

I just brought it home and got it all hooked up and tried the instructions over and over, connecting and powering up the expander before connecting and powering up the 8240HD. It showed no sign of recognizing it and I thought maybe Cox started disabling the eSATA ports on these models too, even though they had always worked before. Well lo and behold I came across your post. Not following the directions actually made it work for me too. I got the same screen warning when unplugging the eSATA cable from the 8240HD as you mentioned, then plugged it back in and it asked me if I wanted to reformat the drive. It did and rebooted itself. Yay! :)

SWLinPHX 08-11-2014 02:34 PM

P.S. I hate it when instructions not only don't help you but actually mislead you, making something more difficult. :(

jimsaxman 08-12-2014 09:02 AM

My pleasure. Curiously enough, I wrote that post several years ago and recently had a similar experience in that I was getting a lot of pixelating, freezes, bad behavior so I changed my cable box and had the same problem again. I searched the internet and came onto this post and tried it. It wasn't until I was done that I realized the fellow who wrote it was me. I had forgotten. Anyway, thank goodness my tinkering worked, as I understand it, for a number of people.