Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aborup

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I ~think~ I understand now. I need to purchase a Hauppuage PVR and either 1) a Sony Streaming Player or 2) an HDMI to Component video converter. Then, when I get a Netflix movie through my player, it will send the signal to the PVR and then on to the TV.

I've never had a PVR. Is it menu controlled via the TV monitor?

Can I burn recorded movies to DVD for playback on a regular DVD player? If so, how is that done?
No, the Hauppage PVR is a computer input device. And as such will be controlled by the computer. You might as well just use a screen recording program."

While the Hauppage PVR is a computer input device and controlled by the computer, it is much more than a screen recording program. It is a h264 encoder and as such, the main workhorse - without it your computer requirements would have to be much more high end to record HD video. It also comes with the software to burn to dvd in dvd format or avchd for bluray players if you wish to keep the HD.

So you need
a. Any netflix player with hdmi out, to hdmi to component converter, to haupp 1212 (connected to a laptop or desktop computer that meets the 1212's specs), the 1212 connected to your tv via component cables.
b. A netflix player that will output hd over component, to haupp 1212 (connected to a laptop or desktop computer that meets the 1212's specs), the 1212 connected to your tv via component cables.

You will most likely record the files to an external usb hard drive, you will then either convert the files to dvd, avchd, or play the files as recorded via a media player (can be your netflix player if you chose the right one).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you want to record in HD then you will need the HDMI to component converter as I believe all Netflix players that have component outputs will NOT output HD, only SD when playing Netflix, at least my PS3 and WD Live player do this.

My interest is ONLY with HD so I have no info on converting the H264 recordings of the HDPVR to DVD format.

The HDPVR is controlled by your computer that is running the HDPVR software, it is a capture device.

I capture in 1080i at the highest constant bit rate setting, then re-encode-

1- with a little sharpening to help overcome the digital to analog to digital conversions.
2- I then convert to progressive to eliminate the pull down flags used in the conversion to 1080i

I end up with MKV files that look amazingly good considering all that processing that happens to the video content.

The software that does all this is free open source but does take some learning and it is not a 1 click process. Read about Ripbot264 and MEgui on the Doom9.org forum.

Mike T
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix on an Xbox-360 has HD on the component video outputs which can be recorded directly on Hauppauge PVR. You need XBox Live Gold subscription to do Netflix.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Yes. (Lower left corner)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCKwxzL3VM
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post

I use playlater software.
The PQ is not as good as the original , but it's fine for when I need to watch offline, also the UI makes it convenient
They have a 2 week demo to test it

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I use this to record Hulu and Amazon VOD. Totally worth $60 and totally legal! He's right about the PQ, but still good enough. I've been able to transfer the vids to my KF HD and watch them on that as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 PM

Yes! You can record Netflix movies straight to a blank DVD. Through experiments I have a Western Digital Media player that is connected to a digital copyguad remover that you can purchase online. Unfortunately you have to record in real time to a DVD recorder. To Netflix it just looks like your playing one of their movies. But if you have good bandwith you shouldn't get any break UPS in the connection. I still record through a s video cable for best possible picture. Unfortunately you cannot record to a stand alone dvr because they have their own copy protection.It just depends on what type of connections your blue ray player has. Their is software out there that can record streaming videos to your pc, but I would advise
Old 10-09-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post
If you want to record HD from Netflix with the HD-PVR you will have to use the HDMI output as it will not stream HD from the analog components outputs. You need to get a adapter to convert the HDMI signal to analog component and optical digital audio if you want to capture anything more than stereo sound. Here is a link to a adapter that I know will work with the HD-PVR, not all do work.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone...5567112&sr=8-1

Also the player must be set to 720P or 1080i for capture in HD to the HD-PVR, it will not work with 1080P resolution.

Mike T

This is completely wrong. You can record 1080i with DD5.1 with the Hauppauge DVT; in fact, you need to as it does not include HDMI inputs or outputs.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborup View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I ~think~ I understand now. I need to purchase a Hauppuage PVR and either 1) a Sony Streaming Player or 2) an HDMI to Component video converter. Then, when I get a Netflix movie through my player, it will send the signal to the PVR and then on to the TV.

I've never had a PVR. Is it menu controlled via the TV monitor?
Can I burn recorded movies to DVD for playback on a regular DVD player? If so, how is that done?
Just purchase a Blu-Ray player that has component outputs; e.g., PS3.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by aborup

First read the netflix Terms Of Use that you agreed on:

Quote:

Netflix reserves the right to terminate your membership hereunder if Netflix, in its sole and absolute discretion, believes that you are in violation of Netflix software restrictions, restrictions against copying movies & TV shows provided to you by us, or other unauthorized copying or use of our proprietary content in violation of the copyrights of Netflix and its licensors. Netflix does not promote, foster or condone the copying of movies &TV shows or any other infringing activity. The use of the Netflix service, including movies &TV shows made available to you by us, is solely for your personal and non-commercial use.

Netflix does not promote, foster or condone the copying of movies & TV Shows, digitally delivered content, or any other infringing activity. You may not circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in the Netflix service.

I'm just saying...

The Supreme Court already ruled on this when they allowed recording for personal use. 5-4 decisino when Justice Sandra Day O’Connor sided against Hollywood:

History:

“The VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone,” Jack Valenti, the garrulous head of the Motion Picture Association of America, told Congress.
The Supreme Court almost bought the argument that because it was illegal to copy shows without the copyright holder’s consent, the Betamax must be an accessory to crime. At the last minute, however, Justice Sandra Day O’Connor changed her mind. In a 5-to-4 ruling in 1984, the technology survived.
Foiling another attempt by studios to control the emerging videocassette market, Congress refused to forbid the renting or reselling videotapes of movies for profit. Blockbuster, Netflix and Redbox would be protected by copyright law’s doctrine of “first sale.” If they had bought it, they owned it.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
This is completely wrong. You can record 1080i with DD5.1 with the Hauppauge DVT; in fact, you need to as it does not include HDMI inputs or outputs.
Which device are you streaming Netflix that will output 1080 or 720P resolution on the analog component outputs? My WD Live will not, nor will my PS3.

Mike T
Old 10-10-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which device are you streaming Netflix that will output 1080 or 720P resolution on the analog component outputs? My WD Live will not, nor will my PS3.

Mike T
The Hauppauge HD DVR. You can record 1080i HD from DirecTV or Netflix streaming in 1080i and DD 5.1.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
Old 10-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
The Hauppauge HD DVR. You can record 1080i HD from DirecTV or Netflix streaming in 1080i and DD 5.1.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
The HD-PVR is NOT the issue, I have 2 of them including the one with HDMI input. The issue I spoke to and you said was incorrect is WHERE do you get a device that will stream Netflix in 1080i from the analog component outputs so you can record on a HD-PVR. You did not answer my question.

Mike T
Old 10-12-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The HD-PVR is NOT the issue, I have 2 of them including the one with HDMI input. The issue I spoke to and you said was incorrect is WHERE do you get a device that will stream Netflix in 1080i from the analog component outputs so you can record on a HD-PVR. You did not answer my question.

Mike T
Playstation 3; You need to use component output on PS3. By the way, you said you could not record hd via component which is wrong, so I was addressing your post.

Last edited by igreg; 10-12-2014 at 07:38 PM.