Can I record streaming Netflix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both my smart Panasonic TV and Blu-Ray player have Netflix streaming apps. They're connected by an Onkyo AV Receiver TX-SR309. Is there any way that I can connect a DVR to these components so that I can stream movies in the wee hours of the morning and capture them for DVR replay later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There is no practical way of doing that. Also, there is no need to capture them in the wee hours to play the next day as those services are on demand.
post #3 of 43 Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ahhh! My high-speed internet has a monthly limit for downloads. From 12AM to 8AM, however, it is unlimited. That's why I'd like to grab the movies in that period. I push the limit each month as it is.
post #4 of 43 Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You could use a Sony Streaming player and a Hauppuage HD PVR

The reason this would work is the Sony has Component video outputs and the Hauppauge records from its component video inputs.

You would of course have to "play" the movie from Netflix and record it in real-time.
igreg likes this.

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #5 of 43 Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you want to record HD from Netflix with the HD-PVR you will have to use the HDMI output as it will not stream HD from the analog components outputs. You need to get a adapter to convert the HDMI signal to analog component and optical digital audio if you want to capture anything more than stereo sound. Here is a link to a adapter that I know will work with the HD-PVR, not all do work.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone...5567112&sr=8-1

Also the player must be set to 720P or 1080i for capture in HD to the HD-PVR, it will not work with 1080P resolution.

Mike T
post #6 of 43 Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

First of all, thanks to everyone for their replies.

I'm not quite clear here.
Am I hearing that I need to buy:
1) A Sony Streaming Player
2) A Hauppuage HD PVR
3) an adapter for HDMI to analog component output

With this scenario, would I be using my computer as the DVR? How do these things hook together and which device shows me what I'm recording?

Is my current Sony BluRay with Netflix app something different than the Sony Streaming Player?

This seems like a pretty big investment to accomplish what I'd hoped was a simple task.
post #7 of 43 Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

If you want to record HD from Netflix with the HD-PVR you will have to use the HDMI output as it will not stream HD from the analog components outputs. You need to get a adapter to convert the HDMI signal to analog component and optical digital audio if you want to capture anything more than stereo sound. Here is a link to a adapter that I know will work with the HD-PVR, not all do work.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone...5567112&sr=8-1

Also the player must be set to 720P or 1080i for capture in HD to the HD-PVR, it will not work with 1080P resolution.

Mike T

The Sony player streams Netflix through it's component video output. I know this for a fact because I own one and use the component video output. Granted it's "only" 720p or 1080i

post #8 of 43 Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborup View Post

First of all, thanks to everyone for their replies.

I'm not quite clear here.
Am I hearing that I need to buy:
1) A Sony Streaming Player
2) A Hauppuage HD PVR
3) an adapter for HDMI to analog component output

With this scenario, would I be using my computer as the DVR? How do these things hook together and which device shows me what I'm recording?

Is my current Sony BluRay with Netflix app something different than the Sony Streaming Player?

This seems like a pretty big investment to accomplish what I'd hoped was a simple task.

The Haupauge has a pass through so you would not know it's there.

Your Blue-ray only has HDMI output.

The Haupauge PVR only has component video inputs.

So you need a converter like mtallent recommended to use your existing player or a Nexflix player with component video output like I recommended.

Really they are about the same price. I think I paid $70 for the Sony player at Best Buy.

post #9 of 43 Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 View Post

The Sony player streams Netflix through it's component video output. I know this for a fact because I own one and use the component video output. Granted it's "only" 720p or 1080i

My Sony PS3 and WD Live Hub will only stream SD through the component outputs when playing a HD file on Netflix as reported by the HD-PVR capture program. That is why I have to use the HDMI output from these devices.

Mike T
post #10 of 43 Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Ok, how about directly within a PC?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #11 of 43 Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Ok, how about directly within a PC?

Rarely used the PC when I was setting this up, the PC Netflix app was so poor and would hardly stream HD that I found the PS3 to work much better. I then got the WD Live player and I like it a lot and find it easier and quicker to use than the PS3. So my setup is the WD Live player HDMI output first goes to a 2X1 HDMI splitter, with 1 output going to My Onkyo AVR onto the DLP 1080P HDTV. The second is connected to the HDMI to component converter and the components and SPDIF optical go to the HD-PVR. This way I can always play to WD Live to my HDTV and whenever I need I can turn on the HD-PVR and record the signal.

Mike T
post #12 of 43 Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you are streaming to a PC (like U Boob) it should be able to be captured (saved)??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #13 of 43 Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I ~think~ I understand now. I need to purchase a Hauppuage PVR and either 1) a Sony Streaming Player or 2) an HDMI to Component video converter. Then, when I get a Netflix movie through my player, it will send the signal to the PVR and then on to the TV.

I've never had a PVR. Is it menu controlled via the TV monitor?
Can I burn recorded movies to DVD for playback on a regular DVD player? If so, how is that done?
post #14 of 43 Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 View Post

You could use a Sony Streaming player and a Hauppuage HD PVR

The reason this would work is the Sony has Component video outputs and the Hauppauge records from its component video inputs.

You would of course have to "play" the movie from Netflix and record it in real-time.

Could one use any media streamer that has component video outputs or does it have to be the Sony one? I've been looking into the Sony player you linked to and while the price is very good the unit gets a lot of knocks for its interface (especially the search function for Netflix and Amazon). I've noticed that Roku makes a unit with component video outputs and wonder if that would work as well.
post #15 of 43 Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aborup View Post

Can I burn recorded movies to DVD for playback on a regular DVD player? If so, how is that done?

First read the netflix Terms Of Use that you agreed on:

Quote:

Netflix reserves the right to terminate your membership hereunder if Netflix, in its sole and absolute discretion, believes that you are in violation of Netflix software restrictions, restrictions against copying movies & TV shows provided to you by us, or other unauthorized copying or use of our proprietary content in violation of the copyrights of Netflix and its licensors. Netflix does not promote, foster or condone the copying of movies &TV shows or any other infringing activity. The use of the Netflix service, including movies &TV shows made available to you by us, is solely for your personal and non-commercial use.

Netflix does not promote, foster or condone the copying of movies & TV Shows, digitally delivered content, or any other infringing activity. You may not circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in the Netflix service.

I'm just saying...
post #16 of 43 Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mindless dribble.
Your home, your business.

post #17 of 43 Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Mindless dribble.
Your home, your business.

Who's mindless dribble?
post #18 of 43 Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What you quoted.

post #19 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

That's the world we live in. Your home is not "your business", you can still break the law in your home.
post #20 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
post #21 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

And in today's news:

http://www.news.yahoo.com/court-wont...144922490.html

He shared and distributed the content with many. The OP wants this for personal use only.

Cheers
post #22 of 43 Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

It doesn't make any difference in USA.
If in US, tell your senator that you want to have the right of a copy for personal use, instead of complaining here and calling it "mindless dribble".
post #23 of 43 Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM

In case anybody really wanted to do what the originator requested. You will have to check out the streaming device output carefully. The Sony BluRay players drop output to DVD quality resolution through the Component port if the source is streamed from the Net. Both NetFlix and Amazon Streaming do this. The Hauppage PVR application displays the input resolution when setting to record and I have watched it drop. The WD Live Plus does the same thing. (Sony mentions this in their owners manual. The reason may have to do with the handshaking which only happens via HDMI. Strangely, the Samsung BluRay player does not drop, and will allow a 1080i or 720p signal out of NetFlix which the Hauppage happily records. (It does make for some huge files, though). Just a further note, the HD component out from a Dish TV recorder will feed through the Hauppage PVR just fine. Many of the Dish units have off-air (OTA) recording as well as Satellite, if you have a good ATSC signal. But Windows Media Center and a good ATSC tuner is certainly a cleaner ATSC recording combo.
post #24 of 43 Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by aborup View Post

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I ~think~ I understand now. I need to purchase a Hauppuage PVR and either 1) a Sony Streaming Player or 2) an HDMI to Component video converter. Then, when I get a Netflix movie through my player, it will send the signal to the PVR and then on to the TV.

I've never had a PVR. Is it menu controlled via the TV monitor?

No, the Hauppage PVR is a computer input device. And as such will be controlled by the computer. You might as well just use a screen recording program.
post #25 of 43 Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

With Netflix now offering "Super HD", shouldn't you be able to plug the HDMI output from the streaming device (Roku, etc) into a Blackmagic Design Intensity module and capture the streaming movie directly to my computer via Adobe Premiere? After capture, is there any reason why I couldn't burn the movie to Blu-Ray?

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #26 of 43 Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

No you cannot. Look up HDCP
post #27 of 43 Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM

And the inevitable fine print on the Blackmagic Design Intensity product specs:

"HDMI input is unable to capture from copy protected HDMI sources."

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/techspecs

I'd be really, really shocked if Netfix was not embedding HDCP flags in their stream.
post #28 of 43 Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
PC and FRAPS? this thing http://audials.com/de/one/index.html ?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #29 of 43 Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Another choice(besides the ViewHD converter that another poster mentioned) for a HDMI>Component video converter that hasn't been mentioned yet is the HDfury 3 or 4,it's a bit pricey but it will do the job,delivers a better pic.than the ViewHD,and accepts and outputs resolutions up to 1080p,and has digital audio output. I don't know if the OP is interested in such a device,but i thought i'd throw it out here as another choice he may want to consider.
post #30 of 43 Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use playlater software.
The PQ is not as good as the original , but it's fine for when I need to watch offline, also the UI makes it convenient
They have a 2 week demo to test it
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General