DVR Help/Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't sure whether to put this in this forum or the Blu-ray Players forum, but ultimately decided I'm more concerned about getting a DVR than a Blu-ray player.

I'm about to buy a new Samsung LED and was only looking for ones that had wi-fi capabilities mainly for streaming Netflix. I then discovered that blu-ray and dvr players have wi-fi, so instead of looking for a TV that can do that, I'm now looking for blu-ray/dvr that can do all that (which will hopefully mean I can get a new TV for a little less).

What I'm looking for is something that can (in order of importance):
1) Play mpeg, mp4, avi, mkv, etc. videos straight from a flashdrive (I keep all my old DVDs on a 1tb external hard drive that I currently watch using my PS3. However, I want my PS3 back in my bedroom, which is why I want a device that can do this for the living room).
2) Stream Netflix, Hulu, etc.
3) DVR capabilities (I have Dish Network and would like to be able to record a show here-and-there).

I really don't care about it playing Blu-rays, although it would be nice to have. The only two items of this nature that I've looked at are these two: Samsung BD-ES6000 and Samsung BD-7500 Blu-ray Players. The 7500 has DVR functions but doesn't seem to play a lot of video files (don't see mkvs on the list), while the ES6000 plays about every type of file but doesn't appear to have DVR functions. I also read the two threads on these players here on AVS but saw a lot of complaints about them, which is why I'm looking for recommendations about other players of this type.

I'm sure there are a lot of these type of players from other companies, but I just haven't done too much research in the matter yet. I'm wore out from TV researching, so I was hoping to get some good recommendations from AVS to at least have a starting point. It really doesn't matter the brand - can be Sony, Panasonic, whatever - I was just looking at Samsung stuff since I'm getting a Samsung TV in a few days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page