Recording cable 720P/1080i HDMI, should I go with Linux or Windows? Wich applications? Wich capture card? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, let me explain my situation:

I'm building a HTPC in order to record and watch HDTV content. Basically, its a computer to replace my current Pioneer DVD Recorder, wich only records in SD. I want to record HD. In my country, Im getting HDTV content trough cable box. The cable box has both HDMI and Component outputs. HDTV content in my country is only 720P or 1080i, so I have no need to capture 1080P. BTW, its NTSC

Im putting a blu-ray optical drive, so I can backup the TV shows to Blu-ray.

I also want to edit the TV shows, exclude comercials and non important scenes. Im used to doing that on a DVD/HDD Recorder. Maximum picture quality is a must for me.

I already have a Moneual 320s case. Link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811280022&Tpk=moneual%20320s

This was my case of choice based on external design. It is low-profile and comes with a Remote, aparently compatible with Windows 7.

Im also in doubt regarding wich applications I should use to both record and edit the TV Shows. Again, picture quality is a must, I want no loss in quality. I heard there is a Linux version specific for this purpuse of HDTV capture. In adition, I already have a Windows retail version, so Im open to both Windows and Linux solutions.

So, I will list below my questions:

1) Wich capture card should I get? It has to be low-profile. At the moment, After comparing Avermedia, Haupagge and Blackmagic sollutuions, I believe the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR is the right choice for me, but I would like confirmations that it can do what I hope of the card.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQE1O0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A18AIDRTGXK5OR

2)Wich application should I use to record the content?

3)Wich application should I use to edit the content? One last time, I want picture quality to maximum!
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page