Need help getting Hauppauge HD PVR to Record VGA (Or DVI) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now I've got the gaming edition Hauppauge HD PVR and a few cables. I initially tried a passive cable solution (VGA splitter, one from 360 other to PVR) which just shows a blank screen on the capture software. I imagine this is due to needing an active converter. (Kind of sucks, according to this video it should have worked)

Anyway, now I'm back to the drawing board and wondering if anybody can help me out to figure out the best way to go about this. I'm really looking for an AV guru who knows what I'm looking for. I am fine with using either VGA or DVI. I have the 360 VGA cable already, and am not against HDMI as I know it's a simpler solution considering it carries sound as well. As far as I know, VGA is an analog signal (Which is why my current set up doesn't work I'm guessing, since component cables are digital?) and DVI is digital like HDMI and can be converted.

My monitor has VGA and DVI ports, but no HDMI. How should I go about making this work? smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 12
Ive had increddibly horrible success making these Hauppauge work if there is any sort of converter/adapter between the console and the hauppauge. I suggest getting the component cable for your xbox and using the converters after the hauppauge. Also the haupper can be a bit finicky, I often have to power cycle it whenever I change sources for it to recognize it has something plugged into it. Once you get it all hooked up, power cycle the hauppauge then plug it into your pc after a bit and see if you get video. Also try restarting the application if it still has issues after that.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [OC]Pik4chu View Post

Ive had increddibly horrible success making these Hauppauge work if there is any sort of converter/adapter between the console and the hauppauge. I suggest getting the component cable for your xbox and using the converters after the hauppauge. Also the haupper can be a bit finicky, I often have to power cycle it whenever I change sources for it to recognize it has something plugged into it. Once you get it all hooked up, power cycle the hauppauge then plug it into your pc after a bit and see if you get video. Also try restarting the application if it still has issues after that.

I managed to figure out a very simple solution. I just have a component cable from the Xbox, component to VGA out of the PVR. I delved into my monitor's specs and found it actually supports YPbPr natively, I just needed to change the setting in the monitor. It only runs at 720p like this, but it's not too bad at all.