alternatives to TiVO? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a few TIVos (SD & HD) and while I am overall happy with the TiVos themselves, I am considering other options since Comcast keeps playing games regarding the charges of their cable cards (long story). I had thought about the Moxi DVR system in the past since it could independently feed up to 3 separate HDTVs from just one M-card. However, that system pretty much went under & is no longer offered or sold to the consumer.

TiVo is suppose to be coming out with a "TiVO Mini". It would be a little box that would allow it to 'borrow' a tuner from a Premiere TiVo in your network to view material and live TV on another HDTV. It hasn't been released yet & TiVO is notorious for products being delayed so I'm not holding my breathe on this option right now either.

The only other viable option at this time that I have seen is from a company called Centon (http://cetoncorp.com/). They offer a 4-tuner PC card (PCIe or USB) that accepts cable cards. I realize I would probably need to setup a dedicated PC for this & it would be the main brains of the home DVR system. They then currently list the Xbox360 as a "media extender" so thinking this would be the way I would watch live TV on our regular HDTVs. I can pick up used ones at Gamestop for about $130. They also are planning to offer the "Echo" media extender soon too at $180.

Has anybody had any experience with using a Centon based system with cable cards for their whole home DVR solution? Just wondering how the experience is. If I use an Xbox360 as an "extender" on a HDTV, can a universal remote be programmed or learned in order to change channels with it? All my hardware/HDTVs would be hard wired networked too (no wireless) so I'm thinking this probably helps too.

I see that hauppauge offers some digital cable solutions (w/ cable cards) and am JUST starting to look into those as well, but any other suggestions for having a whole home DVR/digital cable solution? And I'm not interested in the antenna only options either so no need to even bother mentioning these options. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Read the Home Theater Computers section for the information you need.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can say this, but "over there" I sure couldn't find anything useful!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You couldn't find anything? Isn't this the forum you were checking http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers? I am using a Hauppauge 2650 cablecard tuner and I got my info from that forum. I'm not doing a whole house setup, but I've seen many posts referencing that, although they are utilizing other tuner cards.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page