Best DVR for Over-the-Air recording - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 75 Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The just announced Tivo Roamio is probably the best option right now. You can record up to 4 shows while watching a fifth but on the downside you'll will have to pony up about $700 plus tax with lifetime service.

Early reviews on it look really good but I haven't seen anything out there yet regarding the tuner and how good it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
That OTA TIVO is very interesting... of course the lifetime service is a rediculous $500 ... but still... maybe something I would be interested in replacing a HTPC with. Have to research.

My concern is that the TIVO can only have up to a 3 year warranty (comes with a criminal 1 year unless you upgrade). But once it craps out sometime after year three... they could charge whatever they want to fix it, since you are stuck with a device that has your lifetime service married to it.
post #33 of 75 Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have 3 Tivo S3's (OLED Display), and a Premiere.
I will be upgrading to add a Tivo Roamio (Base) with the 4 OTA tuners soon.
I will eventually dedicate this to OTA and later pick up the next model up for cable DVR purposes.

I dont have lifetime on any of my current boxes though.
post #34 of 75 Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So, $60-$75 per month for TiVo? Plus cable?

Have you considered using 'minis' -- even with lifetime, they are only $250.
post #35 of 75 Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any inside knowledge of if, and how soon, WatchESPN might be coming to the Roamio?

Also, anywhere I can see the back of the base Roamio with 4 antenna tuners? Cant find that on their site. I assume its one connection that is split internally?
post #36 of 75 Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Internally split. Only ONE Cable/Antenna input.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-roamio-series5.php

The cable card inserts at the bottom of the base Roamio.
hifiaudio2 likes this.
post #37 of 75 Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Great, thanks. Is the TIVO software stored on a chip inside somewhere or on the internal hard drive? Is upgrading the hard drive as easy as swapping it out for a new one?
post #38 of 75 Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 23
That's what the TCF people are saying. Straight drop in replacement, but it's done BEFORE the first TiVo boot.
post #39 of 75 Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

When we cut the cable, there was some remorse about loss of programming. Not HBO or Showtime, but the History Channel and the Food Network. To remedy this, I bought the Rokus and a lifetime subscription to Playon. The big problem, though, was the loss of the DVR. I did not expect this. I had been monitoring DVR use in the months before we cut over and it was nil. Bonnie Hunt and Who Wants to be a Millionaire were the only shows recorded. What I did not realize is that there was another use for the DVR -- PAUSE. It turns out that my wife actually answers the phone and she was in the habit of pausing whatever she was watching while she gabbed. And, during Jeopardy, she pauses the program to ponder the tough questions. She also hit the rewind button a lot. Not just in football games. So we needed something. I looked at MythTV, XBMC, Plex, Boxee, and all the PC based solutions. They were all pretty expensive and a lot different than we were accustomed to.

We had loved Dish. It was the best premium provider we had ever had and we liked the interface a lot, so the DTVPal was familiar and quickly embraced. It's been three years and all five have performed flawlessly. When Rovi pulled the plug on TVGOS, PSIP was good enough. The kids probably watch Netflix and YouTube more than anything, the wife is about 50/50 broadcast and Netflix, but I still mostly watch broadcast television. I'm old, so most of my vast DVD collection predates the ban on format shifting. I purchased box sets of my favorite shows and hundreds and hundreds of movies.

A lot of people are asking about DVRs. Most of the options are complicated, expensive, or disappointing. I just wanted to let people know that EchoStar is going to market a modern DVR that does not require a monthly fee or a computer science degree...and that I am very excited about that smile.gif

Great post, aside from your rural location, a LOT mirrors our viewing experiences (likewise, Dish is my fave premium service--Voom before that) and my current focus on the DVR experience as a requisite for 'cord cutting' w/out undue withdrawal.

The Tivo Roamio, a Stream and a couple of Minis are on my 'wish list'. I'm supposing I should get a good antenna installed either in the attic or on our soon-to-be decommisioned sat dish first though.

We also just upgraded our network w/ a dual-band Netgear and I plan on dedicating the 5Ghz to the Tivo/Streaming, and would like to put a NAS on the router to store archived content...which should be do-able w/in the Tivo ecosystem, correct? And as for the Roamio entry-level, you can expand it w/ external drives, right?

Glad I found this thread--when Roamio was announced I was excited "This is it!"...and looks like I'm not alone.

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #40 of 75 Old 09-02-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have been using TiVo for OTA for a long time. I have two TiVoHDs running now, two models behind but for OTA as good as any. The only TiVo hardware failures I have had after 13 years have been hard drives which I have replaced myself and those are rare. Total cost including hardware and service has been very low, certainly less than $10/month per DVR but I use them a long time. I expect the two I am using now to last several more years, I have replaced one hard drive in one TiVoHD which was also inexpensive, salvaged from a used TiVo I purchased at a garage sale.

I read the nonsense about monthly fees, I don't want to pay a monthly fee either so I don't, always have purchased lifetime subscriptions, three total now over 13 years, the first two $200, the last $300. If I bought a new TiVo today, I would have to pay $400 lifetime subscription. TiVo just works and although I could make one of the dumb DVRs like Channel Master work if I wanted, I don't want to since it wouldn't save me much money. I don't think there is a close second best OTA DVR personally but second best is still the Windows Media Center in my opinion, it is brutal to set up and use compared to TiVo but again, I could make it work if I wanted.
post #41 of 75 Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Maybe we need two categories to know all we need to know about "Best DVR for OTA".
1. Best non-TIVO DVR for OTA (no additional license fee up front or monthly.)
2. Best TIVO model for OTA .

TIVO's UI sure is the best I've ever seen, with WMC in second place....

Maybe the new channelmaster K77 will have a nice UI. Seems like it will be devoid of additional/monthly/followup/lifetime/whatever licensing fees, so that's a big win for some of us!
freetvEE likes this.
post #42 of 75 Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

Maybe we need two categories to know all we need to know about "Best DVR for OTA".
1. Best non-TIVO DVR for OTA (no additional license fee up front or monthly.)
2. Best TIVO model for OTA .

TIVO's UI sure is the best I've ever seen, with WMC in second place....

Maybe the new channelmaster K77 will have a nice UI. Seems like it will be devoid of additional/monthly/followup/lifetime/whatever licensing fees, so that's a big win for some of us!

With no fees for guide data or software updates, the outcome has usually been the DVR quickly falls behind any DVR that has provisions for these services which obviously cost money to provide. This must be built into the cost of the DVR or paid in the form of a periodic subscription fee. Over the long run, TiVo doesn't cost much more than the competition if lifetime service is purchased. If someone can't afford lifetime service, I would just say wait until you can.
post #43 of 75 Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Its good to hear that you have had good long term reliability with the Tivo boxes. My main issue with paying for lifetime service is that if the box dies, you are stuck buying the service again. Tivo tells me that they charge $199 to transfer a lifetime service to another box if one fails, but I find that ridiculous. If their hardware fails, you should be able to transfer for free.
post #44 of 75 Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Its good to hear that you have had good long term reliability with the Tivo boxes. My main issue with paying for lifetime service is that if the box dies, you are stuck buying the service again. Tivo tells me that they charge $199 to transfer a lifetime service to another box if one fails, but I find that ridiculous. If their hardware fails, you should be able to transfer for free.

Few things in life worth having come risk free. It would be absurd to offer a free lifetime transfer to a new TiVo if the old out of warranty TiVo fails, so TiVo doesn't do it and neither has any other DVR company. I accept that risk because there is no better alternative than TiVo and paying a monthly fee guarantees a bad outcome, lasts 10 years, you will have paid for 10 years of service. I always choose an option that can result in a good outcome and TiVo lifetime service at least offers that possibility, in my opinion the most likely outcome is a good one.
post #45 of 75 Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Chris,

Perhaps you can identify particular/specific TIVO models for those willing to consider it for OTA?
Are there older/preferable models available on Ebay for example?
Or is there a new model that would be best?

Maybe you can break it down for the two group of folks willing to pay monthly or 'lifetime' "protection" to TIVO:
- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay monthly protection/licensing to TIVO?
- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay "lifetime of the hardware" protection/licensing to TIVO?

thank you,

/e
post #46 of 75 Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

Chris,

Perhaps you can identify particular/specific TIVO models for those willing to consider it for OTA?
Are there older/preferable models available on Ebay for example?
Or is there a new model that would be best?

Maybe you can break it down for the two group of folks willing to pay monthly or 'lifetime' "protection" to TIVO:
- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay monthly protection/licensing to TIVO?
- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay "lifetime of the hardware" protection/licensing to TIVO?

thank you,

/e

Well, I am two models behind with no plans to upgrade so I am not the best to compare models but I do know a little about the models I haven't owned.

I understand only the basic TiVo Roamio comes with OTA tuners, the more expensive Roamio models are designed for cable and this makes sense, the market for an OTA DVR is small and doesn't include consumers willing to pay a high price for recording free over-the-air TV, in fact it is a budget conscious market. I do think some small market would be willing to pay for a 4 OTA tuner DVR but not me, I have never had conflicts requiring more than 2 tuners but I do have two 2 tuner TiVoHDs with service just in case that ever happens. I like having two TiVos with service, even though I rarely transfer recordings from TiVo to TiVo or TiVo to computer. I also have a third TiVoHD without service, backup for parts and without service, it does 30 minute buffer on two tuners and I can get guide data and control the unsubscribed TiVo by using Google TV. Of course no recordings beyond the 30 minute point are possible. I think the TiVo Premiere with recent firmware and TiVo Roamio will not have the thirty minute buffer without service.

I am not aware of any quality differences in the tuners used for OTA, that includes TiVoHD, TiVo Premiere, and TiVo Roamio. I have read anecdotal tales of differences but those are all over the place. I can say the TiVoHD tuners have been the best ATSC tuners I have used. Buying a used lifetime TiVoHD or TiVo Premiere for OTA is a risk I would be willing to take. Over the years I have been using my TiVoHDs, I have received many offers from TiVo to buy a TiVo Premiere with lifetime for $450, so the price I would pay for a used one would certainly be significantly less than I would pay for a TiVo with warranty from TiVo. I would say $200 for a TiVoHD and $275 for a TiVo Premiere at this point and as time passes, of course that price goes down. Hard drive size and accessories included can cause the price I would be willing to pay to vary considerably.

The TiVo Roamio should be the best in terms of internet access so if that is important then I would say TiVo Roamio is the best DVR. I don't care about using TiVo for internet streaming, I use Google TV and Roku, and the TiVoHD is the worst of the three for the internet services. For simple OTA DVR functions, I am not aware of any advantage among the models. The TiVoHD doesn't work with the peripheral boxes offered from TiVo, like TiVo Stream and TiVo Mini, and I am not sure of how those work with the newer models since I don't care about those boxes. I am happy with the rudimentary free options I use, TiVo Desktop and TiVo transfer to another TiVo. I believe TiVo Desktop is no longer free and I don't know how much it costs.
post #47 of 75 Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

thanks man, that's good stuff, very helpful.
Based on your input, I'll take a detailed look at that low-end TIVO Roamio and compare it with other options including WMC & channelmaster K77, costing it per-year, while also considering the good-outcome/bad-outcome approach you had mentioned ...
best regards....
post #48 of 75 Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Silicondust HDHomeRun DUAL is on sale on Amazon for $69. If you have a mini PC with Windows7, you have a subscription-free DVR with two tuners that works with ATSC Digital TV (antenna) or Unencrypted Digital Cable TV (Clear QAM).
post #49 of 75 Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Today, SiliconDust and Simple announced that the Simple.TV v2 would be a two tuner DVR powered, manufactured, and distributed by SiliconGraphics. Sounds like a Home Run to me biggrin.gif

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/silicondust-to-power-simple-tv-2-0/
post #50 of 75 Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

need 4 tuners though.. 2 just isn't enough. Still looks like either two hdhomeruns and wmc or the new roamio
post #51 of 75 Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 PM

I don't have Simple, but my understanding is that multiple tuners can be accessed using the Roku/browser software. With HDHR and WMCC, tuner selection is in the background. I would guess that Simple TV 2.0 will support multiple devices in this manner. That would be better than TiVo since, for many, four tuners is not enough.
post #52 of 75 Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

If the Simple product does have the ability to pull from a "pool" of multiple HDhomerun devices, then it sounds like a contender.
post #53 of 75 Old 09-07-2013, 04:35 AM

hifiaudio2, are there pictures of your completed theater?
post #54 of 75 Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Should be in my build thread. I think that is what is in my signature, but I am on a mobile right now and can't check. If not, the thread is titled Tennessean Cinema. I never did " final final " pics because I still have not bought my two rows of matching chairs.
post #55 of 75 Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Please post the final final when the chairs come in. Looks great!
post #56 of 75 Old 09-09-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Will do.
post #57 of 75 Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Best DVR for Over-the-Air recording?

I found this thread... Read it... Checked out the links... Did I miss an answer with a simple solution to the the above question?  I have DVR's with on-screen TV programming.  Need another.  Are they illegal to purchase now?  It seems like a simple technical solution with a high demand.  Help?  

post #58 of 75 Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Clapper View Post

Best DVR for Over-the-Air recording?

I found this thread... Read it... Checked out the links... Did I miss an answer with a simple solution to the the above question?  I have DVR's with on-screen TV programming.  Need another.  Are they illegal to purchase now?  It seems like a simple technical solution with a high demand.  Help?  

Seems like your best options are either a Tivo Roamio or a HTPC, depending on your needs... Cost is about the same considering a lifetime subscription to Tivo, HTPC is more robust and flexible, Tivo is more plug and play for some folks.
post #59 of 75 Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Did you ever find a good OTA recording device preferrably a DVR  we just ordered the Lava HD antenna.  We are tired of the high dish bills, we figured it up and how much we could of saved over the years not having DISH.  So any advice you could give us with this would be awesome.  My email is jodymayes@embarqmail.com 

Thank you,

Jody 

post #60 of 75 Old 10-05-2013, 04:25 PM

~BUMP~

Still looking for an OTA no-monthly cost solution... Help? 

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page