Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Clapper View Post

~BUMP~

Still looking for an OTA no-monthly cost solution... Help? 

freetvEE already answered you a week ago.
freetvEE likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #63 of 76 Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
None have software/UI anywhere near as good as TIVO or WMC, but these devices handle OTA with no monthly fee or "lifetime-of-the-hardware" fee.
channelmaster 7000.
channelmaster 7400.
channelmaster k77.
HD Home-Run
"PHD-VRX" (you gotta add an external drive to get the DVR functionality) .
post #64 of 76 Old 10-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
FWIW, a lifetime-equipped used TiVo from eBay is another option. $300 for a Series 3 / TivoHD with a 1TB HDD. (2 tuners, 150 Hrs HD recording). The Series 3 is seven-year old hardware. TiVo still does the guide programing updates, but not the software. I'm using a lifetime TiVo HD- and prefer it to the HTPC / WMC / HomeRun HD I was using before.

I am saving the pennies for a lifetime-TiVo Roamio and 2TB HDD. $800.00.
post #65 of 76 Old 10-11-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I just got a Simple off Woot for $100 w/lifetime premium. I plan to use it to record unique episodes of current programming for playback on the Rokus. Seems like an inexpensive alternative. I'll review it on the blog in my sig. With SiliconDust helping Simple with a v2, there is hope that I have snagged a gem.
HikFab likes this.
post #66 of 76 Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 AM

I love my simple.tv DVR. Considering that Premier service is licensed per viewer rather than per device, this is a very inexpensive alternative to Tivo...

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/10/20/simple-tv/
post #67 of 76 Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've not read posts on this thread, but want to mention that Amazon has a little ATSC digital converter box called HomeWorx HW-150PVR that has HDMI out and has 'cable loop through'. I have gone through two cable boxes that I bought on ebay for my projector, but neither had the HDMI out and this little box records also (though you cannot watch one station and record another). The unit is very basic and has a really funky remote control (not a very good interface, but works fine), but is only like $45 (free shipping with Prime acct). Oh, I should mention that while it does not have a hard drive, it does have a USB port to which you attach a flash drive. Pretty convenient really. It picks up all the stations offered in Indianapolis, IN area.
homemadebox likes this.
post #68 of 76 Old 11-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering something like this, too. Is there anything else new on the horizon or should I just buy a Simple TV? Would any of these work better with SlingBox than others?
post #69 of 76 Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48

There's a lot of info on this question over here:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/42/hdtv-recorders

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #70 of 76 Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Just revisited this thread for the first time in about 8 months and thought I'd give my update (since I started the thread...)

I tried the Magnavox DVD recorder that was mentioned, and I ended up returning it 2 days later to Walmart. Maybe I got the wrong one, but it couldn't record HD which was a deal breaker.

In the end, we just decided to get the TiVo Roamio with the monthly fee. I love it. No hassle. 4 tuners. HD, with channel guide. I never found a good fee-free solution that did everything I wanted. Maybe someday Google or someone else will make a box I can buy off the shelf that does basic HD DVR without a monthly fee... Until then, TiVo is great.
post #71 of 76 Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Tried it. It can receive HD signals, but won't record it to the DVD.
post #72 of 76 Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 AM

post #73 of 76 Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Posted by Charlie46227: 
I've not read posts on this thread, but want to mention that Amazon has a little ATSC digital converter box called HomeWorx HW-150PVR that has HDMI out and has 'cable loop through'. I have gone through two cable boxes that I bought on ebay for my projector, but neither had the HDMI out and this little box records also (though you cannot watch one station and record another). The unit is very basic and has a really funky remote control (not a very good interface, but works fine), but is only like $45 (free shipping with Prime acct). Oh, I should mention that while it does not have a hard drive, it does have a USB port to which you attach a flash drive. Pretty convenient really. It picks up all the stations offered in Indianapolis, IN area.

+1 for HomeWorx HW-150PVR.

Thank you Charlie.  So awesome.  I'm in the Toronto, Ontario area and saw this post and immediately went out to BestBuy and price matched with NCIX to get this for $42 CAD. Tried it for a couple days and works like a charm as an OTA PVR.  And as a bonus, it even picks up an extra channel (CHCH) that my TV's built-in digital tuner doesn't get. 

I like that you use your own flash drive so you can watch what you record on other devices too.  Mine is version 14 so no firmware update was needed and everything works great.  Thanks again! :)

Note there's also another similar device on Amazon - the iView 3500STB which I almost got 'cause it's even cheaper and has a QAM Tuner (although some say doesn't work) but it seems the DVR software is buggy and there is no support.  So I went with the HomeWorx and couldn't be happier.

post #74 of 76 Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can't use the Homeworx in Thunder Bay. 3 OTA channels and Shaw cable scrambles all channels. Not much use in these parts unfortunately...
post #75 of 76 Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM

how do I do that?

post #76 of 76 Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Channelmaster 7000PAL

My personal favorite is the ChannelMaster 7000PAL. I would describe it as not perfect, but good enough. It has two tuners and built-in 320GB hard drive. You can replace the hard drive with something bigger. (This voids the warranty, but the machine hasn't been built in years -- the warranty is long gone!) You can record on two channels while watching a recording. It remembers up to an hour of the current channel, allowing you to rewind, fast forward, pause, or slo-mo. If you decide the program you're watching is a keeper, you can record the entire show, including the part you've already seen. It has an onscreen program guide you can use to schedule recordings, and recordings can be one-time, daily, weekly, or Mon-Fri. There is also a program search feature -- if a program you like will be on in less than two weeks, the machine will find it. and let you schedule a recording. No monthly fees -- just buy the machine, plug it in, and hook it up just like a vcr.

However it does not record satellite or cable channels. You cannot offload programs to your computer or smartphone.

The machine is not made anymore, but you can find a good used one on Ebay for about $150.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page