What can I use CONVENIENTLY for HDMI video output to a projector in my garage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Five years ago, we got a new Planar projector at closeout for less than 20% of it's original retail. Due to reviews, we jumped on it. It has breathtaking clarity and colors. Last summer, Fry's had remote controlled motorized 10' diagonal 16:9 screens on sale, we got one.

I "permanently" installed the screen in my seriously dark garage so we could watch Terminator-2 in pitch black on the large screen, from a blu-ray to mkv file on my HTPC. It was AWESOME!

Trouble is, I had to move my HTPC to the garage, complete with a TV-tray to use the mouse. It must have taken 30 minutes to move my HTPC to the garage and set it up, plus 15 mins to put it back in the family room.

One obvious solution is use a laptop to play the movies in the garage. My 2009 laptop serves me great for everything, except there's no HDMI output.

I think it's time to upgrade what I play videos out of, convenience is most important.

Options:
Buy a newer laptop with HDMI output.(Heavy dinosaurs? Do I want another laptop? No.)
Buy a blu-ray player and recorder, and discs. Seems like a lot of extra work/expense to watch one movie )
Buy a tablet with HDMI output to play blu-ray movies. (Seems like a winner)

From a suggestion on another site, I got/tested a Western Digital TV Live that I've used to stream via Wi-Fi and again using Ethernet(1-GPS). It works great except for one problem. Trouble is, about every 20-40 seconds the video halts and there's a small box in the middle of the screen with a rotating arrow. It's not a streaming speed problem from the source. I get 60-75 Mbytes throughput over the Ethernet between PCs. My guess is the decoder in the TV Live can't decode these big mkv files fast enough.

Anyone here have some ideas?

Thanks in advance. wave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
How about an Xbox 360 as a Windows Media Center extender from your main HTPC?

post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HEY HEY! A very good ORIGINAL idea, although I have no idea how.

About 4 years ago, wifey and I were having trouble thinking of a joint Christmas gift we could both share. We decided on an XBox360, and played several family oriented games together. But we haven't used it much since. Our garage is already wired for Ethernet, so this would be a good use, for sure!

We've never had the XBox hooked up to our network, so I'm not sure how to use it to stream video. You probably know exactly how to do this easily, as well as reference sources for newbies.

Can you point me in the right direction(on-line source, manual, etc) before I waste 20-40 hours searching, and maybe still can't get it to work?

Thanks!
post #4 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 67
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member