Cutting cable ties.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Okay, so I have a 55 inch Smart TV and a Dell Laptop that all networked together.  I also have a Warpia HDMI wireless device to stream everything from my Laptop directly to my TV.  I have recently hooked up a Mohu Leaf HD indoor antenna and am getting a lot of channels.  So my next step is to figure out how to cut completely free of cable but still be able to record my channels and have the ability to pause, fast forward, etc.  I am leaning toward purchasing the hdhr3-us from Silicon Dust.  My concern is with bogging down my laptop if I am recording with Media Center.  Is there an alternative to using the laptop to record?  If so, what is it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
if you want something good that works, that lets you stream netflix, hulu, youtube and what not, and something that lets you copy shows off to a computer and send files to it from a computer, get a tivo. if you want a headache, get the countless of vcr type of time based recording devices out there.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #3 of 6 Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

I've considered this option but would like to avoid the subscription fee.  Since I only pay $9 a month for my cable DVR, it would defeat the purpose for me.  Thanks for you advice, it is much appreciated though.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by emylou View Post

I've considered this option but would like to avoid the subscription fee.  Since I only pay $9 a month for my cable DVR, it would defeat the purpose for me.  Thanks for you advice, it is much appreciated though.

then dont pay the subscription fee, buy the lifetime subscription.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #5 of 6 Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

How much is it to buy the lifetime?

post #6 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The Channel Master DVR has been working for me, though it has been discontinued. Hopefully the promised replacement will arrive soon, since I think it's perfect for folks in your situation:

http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_recorder_CM_7000PAL_DVR_s/120.htm
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General