Dish Network Hopper and Joey at CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1185

One of the most entertaining press conferences so far at CES 2014 was presented by Dish Network, which featured dancing kangaroos and the three "Boston guys" from Dish's recent national TV-commercial campaign.

(L-R) Patrick Flaherty, Scott Wilkinson, Neil Odams, and Sean Malone—the three Boston guys mugging with Scott. (Photo by Mark Henninger)

New Dish products include the Super Joey, which adds another tuner to the Hopper/Joey DVR/client system, allowing you to record up to eight TV shows at once (the four major networks in prime time and four other channels). Also unveiled was the Wireless Joey, which uses 802.11ac in the 5 GHz band to transmit up to 1.3 Gbps wirelessly. Then there's Virtual Joey, which adds Dish client capabilities to the PlayStation 3, PS4, and LG smart TVs.

The Hopper DVR includes 2 TB of storage and connects with the Joey clients, including the new Super Joey and Wireless Joey. (Photo by Mark Henninger)

Other announcements included a new Dish Anywhere app for the Kindle Fire (joining the app for iOS and Android) and a new Dish Explorer app with voice-activated search and control.

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When Dish adds a simple remote control to their app then they might stand a chance. Also they could one up DTV by just allowing recorded programs to stream over plain ol WIFI to any tablet. I have both DTV and DISH and hardly ever watch Dish. I have an Android app that lets me add shortcuts to control my receiver right on my home screen. swipe and touch - no mess no fuss.

Barry S. Weingart
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw11 View Post

When Dish adds a simple remote control to their app then they might stand a chance. Also they could one up DTV by just allowing recorded programs to stream over plain ol WIFI to any tablet. I have both DTV and DISH and hardly ever watch Dish. I have an Android app that lets me add shortcuts to control my receiver right on my home screen. swipe and touch - no mess no fuss.

I'm not sure that I follow. I have a Dish Hopper and the Dish Explorer app offers a remote, both in simple and full offerings, allows you to create favorites into a channel guide and navigate/change channels through the app. I can also stream live TV or recorded TV over WiFi using the Dish Anywhere app. The only roadblock is you must use THEIR app, though they opened the API up at Cedia so that should soon change as soon as some development comes out for it. I'd also like to see all the aforementioned functionality in a single app rather that split into two. But it seems to do everything you say it wont do.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

I'm not sure that I follow. I have a Dish Hopper and the Dish Explorer app offers a remote, both in simple and full offerings, allows you to create favorites into a channel guide and navigate/change channels through the app. I can also stream live TV or recorded TV over WiFi using the Dish Anywhere app. The only roadblock is you must use THEIR app, though they opened the API up at Cedia so that should soon change as soon as some development comes out for it. I'd also like to see all the aforementioned functionality in a single app rather that split into two. But it seems to do everything you say it wont do.

Hmmm, Maybe its because I use my Dish as a 2nd receiver that I am missing something. I wanted to keep the cost down so I just have a hopper with the basic services. What is the explorer option you listed? I have played with their Dish Anywhere app and when I try to stream it wants me to buy some other device to make it work? Am I wrong? Or did they recently change this?

Don't I need a Sling?

I just tried to log in and their wonderful app tells me my account is locked. Whatever that means, I still have my service.

Also do they provide 1 or 2 apps - from your info above it seems like there are 2, but I can only find Dish Anywhere in Droid.

Barry S. Weingart
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw11 View Post

Hmmm, Maybe its because I use my Dish as a 2nd receiver that I am missing something. I wanted to keep the cost down so I just have a hopper with the basic services. What is the explorer option you listed? I have played with their Dish Anywhere app and when I try to stream it wants me to buy some other device to make it work? Am I wrong? Or did they recently change this?

As far as the Dish Explorer app, its what allows for control. I have an iPad, so I'm just making the assumption that they offer the same app for Android. Its a little inconspicuous as the remote icon is really tiny and in the upper right corner. As far as the Dish Anywhere deal, you need the Sling adapter like I have. It's a $50 one time fee and plugs in via USB, no additional monthly cost or anything. I believe the newer generation has since built in this functionality and you don;t need the adapter (though I'm not 100% on that). However, if you have one of the early ones you'll need it.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Glad to see the innovation from Dish, to keep the heat on DirecTV. It isn't a good option for me to switch, so it will help keep them honest.

Matt
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

As far as the Dish Explorer app, its what allows for control. I have an iPad, so I'm just making the assumption that they offer the same app for Android. Its a little inconspicuous as the remote icon is really tiny and in the upper right corner. As far as the Dish Anywhere deal, you need the Sling adapter like I have. It's a $50 one time fee and plugs in via USB, no additional monthly cost or anything. I believe the newer generation has since built in this functionality and you don;t need the adapter (though I'm not 100% on that). However, if you have one of the early ones you'll need it.

The older DISH DVR (VIP722) needed the USB Sling adapter as did the original Hopper. Although they initially charged for the device, they mostly gave them away as incentive to continue to use the service. The latest Hopper has the Sling functionality built in. Dish Anywhere was pretty buggy initially, but is very solid now.

Herb B
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Tags
Ces 2014