OTA Digital recording with hard drive. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just bought the DPH-1000R, HDD recorder [I think it's made by RCA].  Anyway, I like most of the features and certainly a step up from my dvd/vcr dual tuner recorder that just broke.

The problem is, that it doesn't download all of my channels. For instance it won't D/L 9.1 or 50.1 which I'm used to having and I really want.  I had just returned the Toshiba620 bec I purchased hastily and I didn't realize that it lacked a dual tuner BUT it did find 92 channels!

The DPH-1000R only found 54 channels.  I don't really care about all the foreign language channels but I like 50.1 and 9.1. I live in NYC and I believe these channels are in NJ.

Another thought is that maybe there is a set up feature that I missed that might help the tuner along.  I also changed a regular cable to the included HDMI cable so if that effects my tuner in anyway, I don't need to use it.

After the fact, I went on the customer reviews in Amazon and people were commenting on the weak tuner in this model. Very few people liked it.  I like it a lot except for the fact that I don't get to record programs from these channels.

Before I return this model too, is there an Antenna Booster or some way to help the tuner pick up more channels?

Apologies for being a technical simpleton but I described the problem as best as I can.

Your help is appreciated,

Harriet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Move antenna,
Raise antenna,
Change antenna,
All of the above.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

my antenna gives me great reception.

What about an antenna booster?

post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Harriet

I just got a phd-vrx2 which works and is interesting but it can't compare in ease of use to the old DVR-pal

Elliot
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harco View Post

my antenna gives me great reception.
What about an antenna booster?

Does it give you great reception for 9.1/50.1? Can you manually add those channels to the 1000R? An antenna booster may work for those channels but mess up reception on the other channels you watch depending on their strength and where they are. Sounds to me like the ATSC tuner in the 1000R isn't as good as your tv. The cable shouldn't make a difference.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-07-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

i tried to m anually andd and it would not let me.

i was reading further and i heard if the stations were within 25 miles of my antenna that a strong booster might block channels i already have.

the nj tower is either in trenton or newark but most likely in newark, much closer.

when we lost tv stations from the WTC on 9-11 the only stations we got were 9 and 50.

it's odd that i can do a little tweeking on the tuner.  my old dvd recorder got 92 channels.

thanks for the help.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I heard that radio shack had tuner amps and they have one that is good for leaving good reception good and improving bad reception, something called signal splitting. not sure.

So I went to the store and spoke to a salesman and about the fact that I don't get a few channels that I want from this new HDD recorder I have.

He said that the tuner in the box will never allow me to get channel 50.1 because it's blocked along with 40 other channels that I don't really care about.  So an amp will never help.  As I mentioned before, the Toshiba gave me access to 90-some odd channels where I'm only getting 50 something with the HDD set up I have now.

He said that if the antenna is going right into the box then the channel will be blocked. He was trying to figure out a work-around for me and drew a little map as follows:

Antenna ------->

/Splitter

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page