Recording Apple TV (and other HDMI devices) to a HD PVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys..

First, my setup - I have Directv DVR, Apple TV, and a PS4 - all video and audio running through my Pioneer 1021 Receiver - with a single HDMI out of my receiver right to my TV.

My question is pretty basic. I pretty much want to record PS4 content, DVR content and Apple TV content to my Mac to later transfer to an external hard drive. I am not looking to record purchased content - but actually looking to record game play on my PS4 - and record some streaming shows on the Apple TV (the WWE Network specifically) - so not sure if I will run into a HDCP issue or not.

So with that said - my issue is how to do this. I was looking at the Hauppague HD PVR Plus - because it has an HDMI in and out. Would that work for my needs? Could I just take the HDMI out of my receiver and run that to the HDMI in of the PVR, and the out of the PVR right to my TV? Would that work? Am I missing something important here? It seems it would be that easy - but just looking to make sure. I really didn't want to use a computer at all - I was hoping to just transfer it right to a external drive rather than using the Mac as the middle man, but I assume something like that just doesn't exist.

Can someone point me in the right direction to this? I am a dummy when it comes to PVR's specifically.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-01-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you're going to be disappointed on all counts. It appears that copyright protection on just about all your devices will block the Hauppauge box from recording any of them via HDMI.

Hauppauge claims that functionality is to capture only from devices that do not have embedded HDCP. In today's world that pretty much limits you to capturing from a camcorder and home videos. Apple pretty much embeds HDCP now in the digital output of all their devices by default, even PC's and laptops where the content may be something you created yourself.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page