DVD Recorder connection to Direct TV DVR - help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am so confused attempting make the connections I need.  I have Direct TV, with a DVR, I recently purchased a Toshiba - DVD RECORDER & VHS RECORDER (DVR620KU)".   I am trying to figure out how to connect my Toshiba DVD/VHS Recorderthrough my DirecTv DVR, so I can record TV programming and so I can record the programs on DVR onto my Toshiba DVD/VHS Recorder.   Can ANYONE PLEASE tell me the steps I need to take to accomplish this?  PLEASE!  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Have you looked at the manual? There are pictures that show you how to connect everything starting on page 19.
http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2842852&isFromTOCLink=false

Your DirecTV is essentially your external tuner in that drawing on page 19.

The DVR620 only accepts Svideo or composite video inputs (ie. standard definition low quality). So you need to connect the red/white analog audio outputs of the DirecTV receiver to the L/R Audio inputs on the DVR620. Then you need to connect either the Svideo or composite (yellow) video out from the DirecTv to the input on the DVR620. Then when you are watching something on the DirecTv box you just hit record on the DVR620.

If possible I would also run the HDMI from your DirecTv to your TV directly so you don't end up having to go through the DVR620 and can take advantage of the better quality output of your DirecTv receiver (I'm making an assumption that your TV and DirecTv box are both HD.

Does that help you?

post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I second what walterappleby said. Hook the satellite dish to the DirecTV DVR, hook the DVR to your television using HDMI, hook the DVR to your DVD recorder using L/R/video (S-Video or composite) and hook the DVD recorder to the television using the best connection you have left. That's the way I have it and it works great. You can watch the DVR without going through the DVD recorder if you want.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
You should check this forum: http://www.avsforum.com/f/106/dvd-recorders-standard-def

That area of the site is where DVD recorder experts reside.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Walter,  Yes, your information is very helpful.  I do have the manual, but didn't see where it discussed how to connect it to the DVR, maybe I missed it, I will look at it again.  Additionally, your other information is very helpful, as I had no idea what type of wiring went into what component or in what order they needed to be connected.  I REALLY APPRECIATE your response, truly.  I will follow your information and get it done tomorrow.  Thank You So VERY Much, ArielSue

post #6 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You So Very Much

post #7 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You So Very Much