Backup from a fried DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My Verizon CHS 435HDC DVR got fried the other night during a thunderstorm.  I get no picture from it just a lot of crackling noises.  TV is fine.  In my basement I have another Verizon DVR with no hard drive.  Using the basement TV and DVR I can watch any of the shows that are stored on the fried DVR.  My scheduled recordings continue to be recorded.  Verizon is going to be sending me a new DVR.  They have told me there is no way to download or backup my archived recordings.  They also told me I could not watch them on the basement DVR!  My question is whether there is anyway to download the contents of my DVR to my Windows 7 PC and then upload them up to the new DVR when it arrives.  I don't need to be able to watch them on the PC, this is just a temporary move.  Since this is hopefully a one time deal I am not looking to purchase any additional hardware or software.  Hopefully something exists that I can do with an HDMI cable or RCA  or coax cables.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Recorded contents are encrypted on the hard drive keyed to the specific DVR. So, unless you are the engineer who designed and wrote the software for the DVR, it is not possible.

DVRs are designed for time shifting, not permanent movie storage.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page