Magnovox DVR Recording Problem from Samsung Smart TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Magnovox DVR Recording Problem from Samsung Smart TV

First, I hope I'm posting in the right forum. If not, apologies, and please redirect me.

Equipment:
1. Magnavox MDR515H / F7 DVR
2. Samsung Smart TV

I've been using the MDR to record, successfully, from a Sony Trinitron, with no problems. But the Trinitron died and I replaced it with my first HDTV, a Samsung Smart TV.

Sometimes it records just fine. Sometimes I get no picture and no sound. Sometimes I get the picture but no sound. I have tried testing various combinations but the ones I try in my testing always work. I am obviously not trying the "bad" combinations but there are simply too many different combinations to test.

I've set timer recording using both the Comcast cable feature (to change the channel at the right time) and Samsung's own channel changer.

I have connected the DVR to the Smart TV using the AV connections and the HDMI connection (at different times, of course). With respect to this intermittent problem, that doesn't seem to matter.

On the DVR, I have turned on the HDMI CEC when using the HDMI connection (HDMI 1 is for the TV/Cable, HDMI 2 is for the DVR). But the problem, intermittent, seems to occur no matter which way I have connected the DVR to the TV.

Sometimes I use the cable remote to turn the TV on/off; sometimes I use the Samsung remote. I don't know if that matters.

Sometimes I've left the TV connected to HDMI 1, somemtimes to HDMI 2. It doesn't seem to matter, with respect to the problem, which one is in use when the recording starts.

The only hint I've gotten for the "no sound" recording is this:
1. Heard the DVR turn on for timed recording.
2. Turned on the TV using Samsung's remote. The TV always comes on in "smart mode" with lots of small preview windows and one slightly larger window that is tuned to the cable station
3. It was set to the right cable station and I could see the picture but no sound. So I clicked the appropriate button on the Samsung remote to make the TV picture full screen. Still no sound.
4. I checked the source and it was set to HDMI 2 (the DVR).
5. I changed the source to HDMI 1 (cable). Still no sound. Picture fine.
6. Using my cable remote control, I changed the channel. The sound came on. I changed the channel, again using the cable remote control, back to the channel I wanted to record and it, too, now had sound.

Please note: I haven't been able to duplicate this. So something else must be going on but I don't know what.

I still have no clue as to why I sometimes get no picture and no sound since the only way I know it has happened is by selecting a "recording" on the DVR only to find out it is entirely blank.

This is very frustrating. I want to do timed recordings but the only way I can be sure to get a recording with picture and sound is to leave the TV turned on to the station to be recorded and to have the DVR always turned on. I don't want to do the latter because I don't want to shorten the life of the MDR (it hasn't been available for sale for quite a while) and I don't want to leave the TV on 24/7 because it is a waste of electricity.

Does anybody have any idea what particular combination of features causes me not to get sound - or not to get sound or picture?
AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis hAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstoni anFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreek Haitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis h
English (auto-detected) » English

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis hAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstoni anFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreek Haitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis h
English (auto-detected) » English

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Tags
magnovox , mdr515h , Samsung , smart tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page