TWC Copy Once - My Best Options for my current setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TWC Copy Once - My Best Options for my current setup?

I'm on Time Warner Cable and this is my current setup:

Great Room
Panasonic 60ZT60
TWC HD DVR
Denon 2112ci
Xbox 360
PS3
Amazon Fire TV

All of these are ethernet into a Netgear WNCE4004 N900 bridge that communicates wirelessly with my ASUS N66U Router in my office. The office is EXTREMELY close, as the router sits in the office. on my desk with my PC about 20' (through one wall) from the wireless bridge in the great room. I have a very new, fast PC in the office. I have no other TVs, but would like to go the cable card route and watch HDTV in my great room and on my PC and give the HD DVR back to TWC.

Thinking of building an HTPC for the great room, but i have a few question. Keep this in mind, TWC is copy once on almost all channels.

1. Is building an HTPC for the TV area using an internal Ceton PCI card a good option? Will this allow me to also watch TV on my PC in the office using WMC?

2. Or am i better off buying an HDHomerun Prime and placing it in the office and using the XBox in the great room as an extender? Can I use an HTPC with Windows Mdeia Center(WMC) in the great room in this scenario for TV viewing? If so, is the HTPC a better experience than the 360? Are both needed for this scenario?

Thanks so much for the help!! If i need to post this elsewhere, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not think option 1 will work. The copy-once programming that you record in the TV area will not be viewable on your office PC. To do that, you would need some software called SoftSled, which only exists in rumors. I don't recommend Ceton products either.

Option 2 is better. The HDHomerun Prime (or newer boxes) from SiliconDust will work with WMC and then extender can then talk to WMC to view all of the recorded content including the copy-once material which is almost everything with Time Warner.

If you can afford it, I wouldn't have your office PC serve as double duty for recording and normal PC use. Things like playing intensive games, or just rebooting the PC when you install drivers or whatever on the PC can disrupt recording of the programs. It will work, but there is a much higher potential of lowering the WAF by accidentally killing tv viewing while using the PC. I know that getting a separate PC for WMC defeats your intent of watching in the office. Does your monitor have two inputs that you can switch between the work PC and a HTPC?

If you can, I would try to run a wire (ethernet) between the two points. You will have a lot fewer odd problems.

If you only want to watch live TV in the office, you could install WMC on the office PC as well as have a HTPC with WMC in your great room. You won't be able to exchange recorded copy-once programming between the two locations, but you can split the HDHomeRun Prime tuners among the two locations.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General
Gear in this thread - 60ZT60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page