Firewire from SA8300HDC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firewire from SA8300HDC

Equipment is MacBookPro 15,1 w/ Firerecord app installed.

On Suddenlink network w/ SA4250 at my Dad's house can record & play fine; HD cable channels as well as rebroadcast over-the-air channels. Suddenlink must not have the signal encrypted for any of it.

At my house (Cincinnati) with TWC & SA8300HDC, can record from both HD cable channels & over-the-air rebroadcast, files save with non-zero sizes, but they will not play. TWC must be encrypting all the signals.

Did the support chat w/ TWC to no good result (chat transcription attached for humor). They suggested I file a complaint with the FCC, which I have. Will wait for that to transpire.

Any others been through this? With what results?

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt twc20150110chat.txt (11.4 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-11-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You need to check the CCI flag (Copy Control). It is within their right, as well as the content owners right to flag everything except the over the air broadcast channels as copy once, meaning you will not be able to record them without using a real DVHS deck (JVC or Mits). However, my experience is that Comcast flags nothing except the premium cable channels (HBO/Cinemax/etc..) as copy freely which would allow you to record them on your computer like you are trying to do. I have Comcast and this is 1 nice thing I like about them.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General
Gear in this thread