TiVO OTA reciever - experience - mixed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TiVO OTA reciever - experience - mixed

I searched and read so much I thought my head would explode. I settled on the TiVO OTA receiver as I needed something simple the wife would be able to use, had an HDMI output, and multiple tuners.

My first attempt at the TiVo OTA receiver was a failure. The HD in the unit wouldn't progress to the welcome screen and per CS, I was advised to return it. A round trip back to BB and I had another unit to use (14 day return policy). Success! Initially, I really liked what was working. Easy tuning, easy to use recording features, intuitive recording features, and the wife was happy. Well, all that was short lived. Approximately 6 days later, no picture will pass through? I am in a dialogue with CS and to say that this has been frustrating is an understatement.

I have an 8 bay HD antenna properly tuned pulling in multiple channels (39) with an inline 7db booster in a structured panel. The booster feeds the house with only two TV's plugged in. I verified the signals by bypassing the TiVo and going direct to the TV's. They work fine with great reception . I even tried a separate powered antenna with the same successful results.

After 45 minutes with online support, they finally asked me to power the unit down and reset it. I should have known as a reset usually resolves computer issues, so why not? That resolved the issue, but for how long?

Not really impressed with this situation. For ease of use and programming guide data interface I give it an A+. For reliability, I give it a D. Maybe this is a one off event, but I am providing this for those who are considering the switch. The initial purchase price is attractive and I don't mind paying the $15 month programming fees if the unit works. I will provide more feedback regarding this after I have used it for a while. I most likely will add a 2TB external HD to increase recording capacity if this continues to function properly.

Cheers,

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-16-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhardy3 View Post
I searched and read so much I thought my head would explode. I settled on the TiVO OTA receiver as I needed something simple the wife would be able to use, had an HDMI output, and multiple tuners.

My first attempt at the TiVo OTA receiver was a failure. The HD in the unit wouldn't progress to the welcome screen and per CS, I was advised to return it. A round trip back to BB and I had another unit to use (14 day return policy). Success! Initially, I really liked what was working. Easy tuning, easy to use recording features, intuitive recording features, and the wife was happy. Well, all that was short lived. Approximately 6 days later, no picture will pass through? I am in a dialogue with CS and to say that this has been frustrating is an understatement.

I have an 8 bay HD antenna properly tuned pulling in multiple channels (39) with an inline 7db booster in a structured panel. The booster feeds the house with only two TV's plugged in. I verified the signals by bypassing the TiVo and going direct to the TV's. They work fine with great reception . I even tried a separate powered antenna with the same successful results.

After 45 minutes with online support, they finally asked me to power the unit down and reset it. I should have known as a reset usually resolves computer issues, so why not? That resolved the issue, but for how long?

Not really impressed with this situation. For ease of use and programming guide data interface I give it an A+. For reliability, I give it a D. Maybe this is a one off event, but I am providing this for those who are considering the switch. The initial purchase price is attractive and I don't mind paying the $15 month programming fees if the unit works. I will provide more feedback regarding this after I have used it for a while. I most likely will add a 2TB external HD to increase recording capacity if this continues to function properly.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob,

Personally i would return it for the regular TIVO ROMAMIO which for when on sale runs about $100 more than the unit you have. Plus can do more if you want in the future.

I know you do not need the cable portion of the regular TIVO ROAMIO, but it is a noce investment for a $100.

Plus since you said you are willing to pay $15/month for the TIVO guide, you do realize there is NO LIFETIME with that TIVO ROAMIO. Meaning you will be paying $15/month for the rest of your life, or the TIVO's.

Now TIVO "may" in the future allow the LIFETIME signup for the OTA unit, but who knows. My guess is no.

Anyway, I know the initial $500/lifetime is A LOT to spend at once, but after 2 years, and 10 months, that $500 is done, and the TIVO is free to use from that point froward, for as long as it last.

If you can return that one, and get the Regular TIVO ROAMIO, plus Lifetime, it will come to about $650 total for the investment up front.

You may be able to find cheaper TIVO ROAMIO'S on EBay, with the lifetime already added. Some from people who are getting rid of theirs. Definitely a good place to look.

Also, consider the TIVO premiere 4 XL. These can be found on EBay as well, with lifetime already added to them, for about $300 bid price.

These units are the predecessor to the current TIVO ROAMIO. They have 2 tuners, as opposed to 4 like the ROAMIO, but they do have an OTA ANTENNA input for those who use antenna only.

Just food for thought.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I agree with post above, keep in mind that you need to be connected to internet to use tivo. I don't see what the big deal is with cord cutting, long as you have internet service the TV is cheap. I pay $75 for highspeend internet 100mbps and 40channels from comcast. After one year it goes up $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Also, consider the TIVO premiere 4 XL. These can be found on EBay as well, with lifetime already added to them, for about $300 bid price.
Do not get the premiere or any old tivo models. Roamio is my first tivo but I done my research before I pulled my money. premiere is SLOWWWW and you need the 4tuner to work with tivo mini. roamio remote is also better. Just stick with roamio, extra bucks will be worth it!

Going through tv guide should be easy. I can't believe tivo is the only major brand that got it right. What the guy said above, after 2yrs it pays for itself. For me 3yrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General