AVS Forum banner

OTA DVR that doesn't require home internet?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  qz3fwd 
#1 ·
I've been looking at OTA DVR options (tivo, tablo, channelmaster, simpletv) and they all seem to require you to have home internet.

Clear was the only home internet I could find in my area, and it's gone out of business. So now the only way to power internet at home is through my phone hotspot. 2 gig a month doesn't go very far, but lets me connect my laptop when needed.

Is the only reason for internet with these dvr's so you can stream Amazon, netflix, ruku, youtube, stuff like that?

What if I just want to record, pause, and rewind HD antenna tv? And an onscreen guide would be nice.

I'm a non-tech granny who needs to cut costs. I've been trying to do my research (you see I've learned some acronyms! lol) but would appreciate help with understanding if there's a OTA DVR to met my needs that doesn't require home internet.

Thank you!

#3 ·
I've been looking at OTA DVR options (tivo, tablo, channelmaster, simpletv) and they all seem to require you to have home internet.

Clear was the only home internet I could find in my area, and it's gone out of business. So now the only way to power internet at home is through my phone hotspot. 2 gig a month doesn't go very far, but lets me connect my laptop when needed.

Is the only reason for internet with these dvr's so you can stream Amazon, netflix, ruku, youtube, stuff like that?

What if I just want to record, pause, and rewind HD antenna tv? And an onscreen guide would be nice.

I'm a non-tech granny who needs to cut costs. I've been trying to do my research (you see I've learned some acronyms! lol) but would appreciate help with understanding if there's a OTA DVR to met my needs that doesn't require home internet.

Thank you!
Get yourself a CM DVR+ and it will use whatever programming guide data provided in the broadcast by your local station, meaning you will get maybe 2 days out, but no internet is required.
Forget the cheapo chinese single tuner DVR's unless you are on a very strict budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.