TiVo Introduces Bolt DVR/Streamer - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 35 Old 05-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 165
My TiVo Premier has been dying on me lately. Recordings keep freezing and stuttering.

So I picked up a Bolt. When I connected it, I immediately noticed that the picture looks softer than on the Premier. I tried switching back and forth between the Permier and the Bolt with the same recording. I'm convinced that I am seeing a subtle but real difference between them.

The Bolt has no noise reduction or "digital smoothing" settings to disable, I've tried setting it to output various resolutions, all other variables are the same.

I did a Google search and found a few comments online about lesser picture quality with the Bolt, but it wasn't something that seems to be plastered everywhere.

Anyone with a bolt coming from a Premier or Roamio notice a subtle down grade in image quality with the Bolt?

Based on this and the terrible case design I think I'm going to return this and get a Roamio, but just curious if anyone might have any relevant feedback before I jump through those hoops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-08-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
...snip... I immediately noticed that the picture looks softer than on the Premier. I tried switching back and forth between the Permier and the Bolt with the same recording. I'm convinced that I am seeing a subtle but real difference between them.
Are you using the same input on your display? Just a difference in calibration would account for what you're seeing.
post #33 of 35 Old 05-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Are you using the same input on your display? Just a difference in calibration would account for what you're seeing.
We're taking pulling the cable from the back of one TiVo unit and connecting it to the other. Nothing else is the chain is different.

But even when I have gone into the display's settings and jacked up detail enhancements it doesn't bring back the subtle detail it looks like I'm losing when going from the premier to the bolt.

post #34 of 35 Old 05-08-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
We're taking pulling the cable from the back of one TiVo unit and connecting it to the other. Nothing else is the chain is different.

But even when I have gone into the display's settings and jacked up detail enhancements it doesn't bring back the subtle detail it looks like I'm losing when going from the premier to the bolt.
I wouldn't be surprised if different chips are used in different bolts with some of us experiencing a softer picture and others having a sharper one.
post #35 of 35 Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if different chips are used in different bolts with some of us experiencing a softer picture and others having a sharper one.
Well, I returned it.

The softer picture was an issue I wasn't going to accept anyway, but then I started having some HDMI syncing issues with it as well. I'd swap the connection with the older unit and everything would be fine, but the Bolt was not syncing. It would sync directly to the monitor but not through the AVR, even though it was syncing fine through the AVR the prior day.

Based on the soft picture, it wasn't worth trying to trouble shoot that any further and it went back today. I have the old dying unit reconnected and the picture is definitely better. I guess I'll look into getting a Roamio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Tags
bolt , roamio , Tivo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page