Cord cutting the wife friendly way - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Aero 1

post #1 of 5 Old 12-25-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cord cutting the wife friendly way

Hi,
I’m looking to lower my subscription fees but still need to have a user friendly way to watch TV for the wife.
I can watch in any convoluted way on a computer or what not.
Currently on FIOS triple play outside the promotion period ($180/mo)
Have the option to switch to Optimum, but would prefer a more “modern” option consolidating OTA, streaming, torrenting, etc.
I’m generally aware of the options like Plex, Kodi, Tivo, Roku, but don’t have the time to try them all.
Programming wise all I really need is sports (mostly tennis) and some kind of Russian package for the wife (I know Roku has one for $15/mo).
DVR like functionality is a must (watch on demand, skip ads).
On the back end I’m capable of doing whatever it takes (including putting antennas on the roof and customizing software) but on the user side it should be seamlessly operated by a remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-25-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just cut the cord from Direct Tv the transition was fine with me but my wife is not the most technically proficient person. Roku is what we went with and OTA with and antenna she Is getting use to using it. we use a channel Maste dvr for over the air it works seamless with the titan tv web tv guide. I also use a hauppage hd pvr2 also.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKL7 View Post
Hi,
I’m looking to lower my subscription fees but still need to have a user friendly way to watch TV for the wife.
I can watch in any convoluted way on a computer or what not.
Currently on FIOS triple play outside the promotion period ($180/mo)
Have the option to switch to Optimum, but would prefer a more “modern” option consolidating OTA, streaming, torrenting, etc.
I’m generally aware of the options like Plex, Kodi, Tivo, Roku, but don’t have the time to try them all.
Programming wise all I really need is sports (mostly tennis) and some kind of Russian package for the wife (I know Roku has one for $15/mo).
DVR like functionality is a must (watch on demand, skip ads).
On the back end I’m capable of doing whatever it takes (including putting antennas on the roof and customizing software) but on the user side it should be seamlessly operated by a remote.
too many cavets when you dont have any time. getting a new wife is probably faster.
limoman, CopRock, JP32 and 2 others like this.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!

post #4 of 5 Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have not tried any stand-alone DVR. I have setup one of computers as a DVR. I used Hauppauge HVR-2255 for OTA. The HVR-2250 has a weak tuner for OTA. The software that I use is NextPVR, so Windows is required. It does not have a pretty GUI, but it is reliable and stable when using Hauppauge cards. I have tested MediaPortal for DVR software. It is not reliable and stable. MediaPortal occasionally causes BSOD while NextPVR does not. Kodi can interface with NextPVR. The guide that I use is Schedules Direct. I have found that TitanTV guides are not accurate. NextPVR can somewhat guess the channel and match it to your desire guide service. Hauppauge drivers are poorly written, so I have to reboot my DVR at least once a week. The CPU that I selected is Intel Pentium G3250. CPU usage is low when watching 1080p shows. The hard drive that I use for only recordings is Seagate Pipe series. I use Windows 7, but Windows 10 could work too.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2017, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I went OTA with a Tablo dvr, gave me the ability to leave a nexus player on our main tv the Tablo in the basement where the feed comes in.the interface of the Tablo is perfect great to use also.
The Tablo also allows you to view the streams on your tablets and phones and computers so the box isn't tied to 1 TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Tags
consolidate , cord cutter , dvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page