Directv HD HDR--convert to non directv use - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2016, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Directv HD HDR--convert to non directv use

I am looking for advice on the feasibility of setting up an older Directv HDR as a media library/server on my new home theater setup. Can this be done? i am also looking an alternative to set up a desktop to do the same if the first one is not feasible. So my question is whether anyone done this type of conversion on Directv HDR. i had a fully paid device that was left when i moved and Directv did not want returned. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-21-2016, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No. most you could do is remove the hard drive,reformat and add to computer. DTv dvrs are useless without a DTv subscription and used,older units are worthless for Non-Sub re-use. some older dvrs like the UltimateTV dvr made by sony and others (nice in their day,but only worth scrap now) some units like these the small capacity hard drives may need to be unlocked to be able to format. my advice- remove drive if wanted,recycle the rest.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-21-2016, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxman View Post
No. most you could do is remove the hard drive,reformat and add to computer. DTv dvrs are useless without a DTv subscription and used,older units are worthless for Non-Sub re-use. some older dvrs like the UltimateTV dvr made by sony and others (nice in their day,but only worth scrap now) some units like these the small capacity hard drives may need to be unlocked to be able to format. my advice- remove drive if wanted,recycle the rest.
thanks, i suspected as DTV typically doesnt give away much of anything!

post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I also have a few DVRs that I did not return to the cable companies. I paid my fines and now have these devices just laying around. I can't believe that there is no way to reuse the hardware for a different but similar purpose. I am hoping to find a way to wipe the systems and install Kodi for a home entertainment center. If I am willing to flash bios and such, does anyone know of a place to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page