Digital Coax audio & HDMI simultaneously? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Digital Coax audio & HDMI simultaneously?

A friend needs a simple whole house audio solution for a new beach rental property that renters can easily access. We decided to use Comcast's music channels & want to mount a small TV in the distribution closet along with the main multi-room DVR. Guests will be able to see the channel line-up on the small TV but we need to get the audio to the integrated amp that will accompany it. Question; does anyone know for sure whether you can use BOTH the HDMI output AND the digital coax audio output at the same time or is the Coax locked out. If both are active at the same time it will make the installation much simpler, otherwise they will have to buy a larger TV then they need so it comes with an audio output that can be run to the integrated Amp. Called Comcast, and the level 2 tech support person did not instill confidence in what they knew, told me to get the box and see if it works or call the speaker manufacturer to see how to get the audio to the house. Then I was told the Coax does get locked out, seemed they just wanted to get me off the phone so that's why I'm asking you all for help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 983
All audio and video outputs are active simultaneously. That's been my experience in the past.

DirecTV receivers are the same way.

Afro GT
post #3 of 3 Old 06-07-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhibit#4 View Post
A friend needs a simple whole house audio solution for a new beach rental property that renters can easily access. We decided to use Comcast's music channels & want to mount a small TV in the distribution closet along with the main multi-room DVR. Guests will be able to see the channel line-up on the small TV but we need to get the audio to the integrated amp that will accompany it. Question; does anyone know for sure whether you can use BOTH the HDMI output AND the digital coax audio output at the same time or is the Coax locked out. If both are active at the same time it will make the installation much simpler, otherwise they will have to buy a larger TV then they need so it comes with an audio output that can be run to the integrated Amp. Called Comcast, and the level 2 tech support person did not instill confidence in what they knew, told me to get the box and see if it works or call the speaker manufacturer to see how to get the audio to the house. Then I was told the Coax does get locked out, seemed they just wanted to get me off the phone so that's why I'm asking you all for help. Thanks!
What incompetent customer service from Comcast, I could tell the person on the phone was clueless about what I was asking & instead of transferring me to someone who did know, told me she asked someone else in the room who said the digital coax audio out was locked when using the HDMI. Don't know whether she fibbed or the person she asked did not know either. ALL outputs, both Audio & Video are active when an HDMI cable is in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comcast rear view.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	1484233  

Last edited by xhibit#4; 06-07-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page